The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 5.0.41.0 is Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trhosting.net, May 24, 2007.

1. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

2. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Member

This is the one thing that turns me off on control panels such as CPANEL and Plesk is the long wait for updated essential programs such as PHP and MySQL... not to mention the length of time it has taken us to get Apache 2 support.

PHP 5.2.2 has been out for a bit now and it hasn't been added as well.

3. arcdigital

arcdigital Registered

Hey man, CPanel has php 5 support on 11 and 10. On 10 you login to root WHM and go to apache update. Then click load previous configuration. Then just click on php 5.x.x (whatever you want) and hit go. Once its done you've got php 5! On cpanel 11 its the same but if you are on stage 2 with the new easyapace you can do a dual compile (4 and 5). Hope that helps!

4. rone

rone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Name one other panel that gives you the same options as cPanel in the choice of what MySQL and PHP you wan't use??????

Plesk don't give you the option it use the MySQL and PHP version that comes with your OS !!! try to upgrade it in Plesk you realy can't stop crying.......

Apache 2 support is coming and I can tell you it is realy great and there is no other panel with this kind of option like cPanel.

5. Bulent Tekcan

Bulent Tekcan Well-Known Member

6. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Member

I know it has PHP 5 support :rolleyes: I'm using 5.2.1 right now. I asked about 5.2.2

I have owned Plesk and moved from it before getting CPANEL. It'd really be great if people would stop responding to people when they have no clue what the hell they are talking about. I did not single out CPANEL. I said it's frustrating on any control panel to wait for updates such as PHP 5.2.2 which are security oriented.

7. rone

rone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hey if you know it all so good just contact cPanel or what ever for panel direct. Always complaining / flaiming on forums is just so easy.

And if it is all so frustrating then go learn something about servers, OS's, and controlepanels then you can install it by yourself.

I know what I am talking about and what I am doing but what are you doing in the hosting business?

8. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Member

You think everyone on here is in the hosting business???

I run many sites. No one else's other than a few friends. Right now I don't have the time to learn how to completely manage a server but I will as soon as I can find the time to learn.

I am showing my frustration, along with many others on this forum, with the amount of time it takes to get upgrades for important software such as MySQL and PHP.

9. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Everyone that's complaining needs to learn how to compile software on their own and not rely on cPanel to do a system administrator's job. cPanel is made for making these tasks easier to perform, BUT you still need to understand them and know how to do them manually in case things within the control panel aren't right.

You can use whatever version of PHP/Apache/MySQL you want as long as you understand how to upgrade it and how cPanel may effect it (especially in regards to Apache).

10. jrehmer

Then you shouldn't have taken on the responsibility of running a web server if you don't understand how to manage it, or if you don't have the time.

11. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Member

This is pretty ridiculous. CPANEL should be able to provide updates to important software such as PHP and MySQL in a reasonable time. 5.2.1 has been out for many weeks now with security fixes and they just now get around to getting it up. Not only that but you have to do the update from the command line because it doesn't show in WHM.

If they can't take critism then they need to get out of the business. If you're a fanboy then don't bother responding to me. I find it unreasonable along with many others. If you don't then that's gravy. Don't start trying to turn this on me and my experience on running a web server. I am letting a company know things that I find acceptable.

Do not attack me for giving a reasonable view on a companies product.

12. jrehmer

Their business is providing you a control panel, NOT providing you timely software updates that are your Operating System vendor's responsibility (ie- RedHat/CentOS, Debian, FreeBSD, etc).

It really shouldn't be cPanel's business to upgrade software at all, and in fact I wish they'd take on the views of other control panel providers like SWSoft who rely solely on OS installed software.

Bottom-line, it's not cPanel's responsibility - it's yours. Maybe that's not what you want to hear, but that's the bottom-line truth.

#12 jrehmer, May 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  13. jrehmer

And before I get called 'fanboy' again, I've been a loyal SWSoft (Plesk) customer for many years.

After being in the industry for so many years I've found a use for multiple control panels since each has their own caveats, etc. The vast majority of my users prefer cPanel over Plesk, so that's what they get.

Either way, I can do everything the control panel does on my own - that's called being a good System Admin. The control panel is to help simplify many routine tasks, such as created new websites, e-mail accounts, changing passwords, and the like - not things like updating Operating System packages, keeping up with security updates, etc. That's *my* job.

#13 jrehmer, May 29, 2007
    Last edited: May 29, 2007
  14. katmai

katmai Well-Known Member

have to disagree.1000$ license for cpanel is a pretty nice price that cPanel should deal with everything. i dont think that you get a 1.000.000 EUR bugatti veyron and you expect to change your own tire , or fix your engine problems, if happens. got my point? if cPanel was supposed to be only for OS oriented updates then we would not need them at all. i know how to yum myself, and portupgrade on bsd, and i can build some simple scripts to create accounts for ppl who don't need cpanel. yet, cPanel is providing all those juicy stuff that makes it a great cpanel, and it definitely is. and as long as we pay for it, they need to keep up and improve and evolve, otherwise we could simply move to something that is simply better and with more stuff.

anyway. bottom point is: cPanel MUST provide this kind of stuff, because we pay for it each month, or we have licenses.

taking out software updates. what wiill you have here? i don't get it ? just for clients to add dbs and manage mail? get serious.

and regarding to the last quote: that may be YOUR job, but many of us own our own business, and feel like doing it ourselves as well, but we do have a personal life as well, and we do NOT like spending 5 hours per day just to see if there are updates and workarounds that cpanel would do. that's why i ... pay cpanel for?

you simply look like those conservatives persons 200 300 years ago that said that things cannot be done and we cant fly and that magic exists, and everything is a witch and wizards thing. get serious dawg. the only thing here is how to make life easier, and administration less time consuming.

15. trhosting.net

trhosting.net Well-Known Member

cPanel doesn't have to provide system packages or updates. But they are providing their own apache, php and mysql packages. So they have to upgrade them quickly. I don't want to use the packaages that cPanel provides but i have to use them for compability with cPanel. If i use my own mysql then cPanel will not give support for many things.

16. jrehmer

That's just not true.

17. jrehmer

I do own my own business, and work full time for another, and also have a personal life, I'm sorry that you can't effectively manage your time... it only takes me about 20 minutes to determine if there is anything on my box that needs my attention (regarding security updates).