The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 5.0 Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Nov 4, 2008.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are there any issues with upgrading from MySQL 4.1 to MySQL 5? Anything that needs to be addressed with databases prior to upgrading to MySQL 5?

I know when upgrading from MySQL 4.0 to MySQL 4.1 it was recommended that all database tables that used the ISAM storage engine should be switched over to the MyISAM storage engine. Are there any issues like this that need to be addressed with an upgrade from MySQL 4.1 to MySQL 5.0?

Are there any major compatibility problems between MySQL 4.1 and MySQL 5.0. Any popular scripts that fail to work with MySQL 5.0 or encounter problems?

I have several servers that are still running MySQL 4.1. I want to begin to upgrade them to MySQL 5, but I am just checking to see if there are any issues with the upgrade process or anything else I should know about before proceeding.

2. dave9000

dave9000 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only thing I have found that doesnt work after upgrading to mysql5 is freeradius installed from the centos 4 rpms.

It uses the mysqlclient.14.so and mysql5 installs mysqlclient.15.so

This can be worked around by using the MySQL-shared-compat libs

As far as scripts so far we hadnt had any issues between 4.1 and 5.0

3. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the response. I am not using a radius service so that should not be a problem.

I had not read of a lot of problems with the update, but just wanted to be sure before proceeding.

Thanks again.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any issued on all the servers I've upgraded from v4.1 to v5.0 apart from a spurious bug in some versions of v5.0 when importing sql files with certain types of comments that it borks on (quite rare). There were bigger issues going from v4.0 to v4.1 IMX. I always stop mysql and take a copy of /var/lib/mysql/ before upgrading, though.

5. sparek-3

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the input. I did not think there was a lot to the upgrade, I had not seen a lot of threads regarding problems or issues with the MySQL 5 upgrade, but I can easily overlook those threads.

Good advice to shutdown mysql and make a copy of the /var/lib/mysql directory prior to upgrading. Then you at least have something to go back to in case problems do pop up.

Thanks again