The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 5.1

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by brianc, May 13, 2010.

1. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I have a client who needs mysql 5.1. Is there any problems with upgrading mysql from 5.0 to 5.1 on a production server? I have quite a bit of clients who run php/mysql scripts and I want to make sure this upgrade will not break their scripts.

Thanks for any insight on this.

2. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

I won't recommend an upgrade to Mysql 5.1 on a production server because if it breaks other clients websites, downgrading of Mysql to a previous version will be a real pain. It's better to ask the client to go for a dedicated server or a vps.

3. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We're installing all new servers with mysql 5.1 since several months and never had any compatibility issue ;)

4. hostingtech

hostingtech Member

@ yapluka, Installing Mysql 5.1 on new servers is different than upgrading an existing production server with lot of accounts from 5.0 to 5.1, and this is where the real compatibility issues comes in.

5. yapluka

yapluka Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What you describe looks more like upgrade issues than compatibility issues.

Either way, we've upgraded production servers without any problem as well.

6. trevHCS

trevHCS Well-Known Member

With the latest WHM it seems to tell you before you actually do the upgrade if it thinks there'll be any errors. Tried this yesterday on a server and it warned that any usernames longer than 16 characters might cause problems.

It did warn at the end of the process that something had failed with the rebuild of Apache / PHP, but couldn't find anything that's actually gone wrong so not sure what that was about. Might be a false error.

Trev

7. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

It's probably just the options you got selected in EasyApache .... no biggie

Anyway, regarding upgrading to MySQL 5.1 for everyone else, there shouldn't really be any issues at all if you are coming from MySQL 5.0.

Theoretically you may run into issues if someone has an unusually long database name in place but since Cpanel has kind of capped the name limits for a while now that is more of a rarity and if you do run into that (I haven't yet in any actual real account) then it would just be a matter of updating the programs that use that database with the new database name and that is pretty much it.

Compatibility wise, MySQL 5.0 to MySQL 5.1 is very stable and there really isn't any major complications to speak of and the Cpanel upgrade process has gone off without a hitch on every server I've upgraded.

If you are coming from something further back than 5.0 ---- well you got serious issues anyway irregardless. ;)