The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysql 5.6 resize innodb_log_file

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by kernow, Sep 21, 2014.

1. kernow

kernow Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This tip might save some of you wanting to resize the innodb_log_file some time. We had to increase the log file on one of our servers so we proceeded in the usual manner of checking that innodb_fast_shutdown is set to 0 or 1, shutdown Mysql, rename ib_logfile0 and ib_logfile1 ( so Mysql would create new two logs) edit /etc/my.cnf to show the innodb log size new value, then restart Mysql. But you can image my panic when I ran the LS command only to see the two ib_logfiles that I had renamed to ib_logfile0-olde and ib_logfile1-olde.
    Where was the two new innodb log files that Mysql should have created?? was Mysql really running? it was, and the error log file showed all was well.
    The simple answer we found out is, Mysql versions up to and including 5.5 needed the above procedure to change the innodb_log_file value but in Mysql 5.6 all you do is change the value in my.cnf and restart Mysql. Easy eh?
    Not sure why the renamed files ib_logfile0-olde and ib_logfile1-olde still work but they do, maybe anything starting with the name ib_logfile* will do.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator