Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mysql 5.6 to mariadb 10.1.x centos 7.x datadir issue

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by jsparks, Nov 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jsparks

jsparks Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm looking to upgrade/switch away from MySQL 5.6 in favor of MariaDB 10.1.x however, I received the following fatal error:

As of MariaDB 10.1.16, the data directory cannot reside in /home, /usr, /etc, /boot, or /root directories on systemd equipped systems. You must move your MySQL data directory outside of these directories before continuing with this upgrade.

I understand from a bit of research that this might be related to the default SELinux permissions but not exactly sure.

My question and issue is that my sql datadir is >170gb, and I don't have another partition other than /home to move it to. Is there anyway I can work around this, perhaps a symlink??

After a couple hours of googling I've hit a wall, surely someone else has encountered this, and was able to persevere?

Thanks in advance!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

Using a data directory within /home, /usr, /etc, /boot, or /root is unsupported because of changes in MariaDB that would lead to it failing to start (MariaDB uses a default systemd unit configuration that enables the "ProtectSystem" and "ProtectHome" features). Unfortunately, the only supported workaround in your case would be to setup a new server with an updated partition scheme with enough space for your databases in /var/lib/mysql and then migrate the accounts to it via "WHM >> Transfer Tool".

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jsparks

jsparks Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi Michael,

If mysql datadir is set to /home/mysql, could I just bind this to a different path via mount --bind? Optionally, I've read that setting ProtectHome=false in /usr/lib/systemd/system/mariadb.service could do the trick.

I've not tested either of these options in CPanel, but would you know if either of these methods would provide a stop-gap solution?

Thanks

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

While unsupported, setting up a bind mount to point /var/lib/mysql/ to the desired /home/ directory should allow it to work until you've had a chance to increase the size of your /var/ partition or migrate to a server with a new partition scheme.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kurieuo

Kurieuo Well-Known Member

I've read its good to avoid bind mounting unless necessary since it can look like just a second copy. Is there any downside to this with cPanel detecting database sizes or the like? Is there any real disadvantage to bind mounting the mysql folder?

I find myself in a similar situation where I need to move the var/lib/mysql folder (or maybe logs would be a better option for now) because I just overlooked the mysql folder in a rushed server move.

6. Kurieuo

Kurieuo Well-Known Member

JS, how did your move go? Any issues noticed since?

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello @Kurieuo,

The downside is that we don't test cPanel & WHM on environments where the MySQL data directory is configured as a bind mount. While I've not seen reports of any problems with this setup, it's not something we routinely test against. I recommend against setting up the bind mount for this purpose if at all possible. It's only intended as a temporary workaround until you have an opportunity to add a new mount with additional space or migrate the accounts to a server with a new partition scheme.

Thank you.