The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysql 5 access denied problems

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by ricoche, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricoche

ricoche Well-Known Member

Hello,

I keep getting the following error when restarting Mysql in WHM.

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)' mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "mysql has failed").

Mysql is running just fine. When I restart mysql with the command line I get the following:
    Shutting down MySQL.[ OK ]
    Starting MySQL[ OK ]

I also cannot connect using the command line mysql -u user_name -p.

If I try to change the mysql password in WHM I get the following messages:
    Mysql password change failed!!
    A forced reset will now be attempted.

I then try resetting the password in WHM, but it doesn't reset. When I try to reset the password in WHM and then use this new password with the above command line, I get the following message:
    ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I can see a password in /root/.my.cnf but it doesn't work and sometimes it changes if I modify it in any way. Not exactly clear how it changes on it's own, but if I tinker with updating mysql, cpanel, or other for example I notice the password changes.

I'm trying to run PHP 5.1.5, MySQL 5.0.24, and Cpanel R119.

Here is a basic my.cnf file I'm using for just trying to get things started. This gets mysql up and running, but it still gives me the error above.

[mysqld]
    datadir=/var/lib/mysql
    socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    set-variable = max_connections=500
    safe-show-database

[mysql.server]
    user=mysql

This is all on a new server. Perhaps I need to have someone take a look, but I'm not sure of any server maintenance companies that might be able to help.

Thanks very much.

Jim

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

3. ricoche

Hi Chirpy,

Thanks very much for the reply. Much appreciated.

I actually saw your post while doing my searches here and gave it a try before posting but didn't have any luck unfortunately. After your reply, I took a closer look and gave it another whirl, but still no luck.

After I get Mysql running, I check phpmyadmin for example and I am still getting the error "Wrong username/password. Access denied." I am also still getting the following error as mentioned above when restarting Mysql in WHM.

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)' mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "mysql has failed").

This is a brand new server, so I'm thinking I should maybe have the datacenter re-setup everything? Or perhaps I see you have some services Chirpy so perhaps one of those might help me to get up and running.

Note, I have other servers, but my intention for this one is to run only as a test server with Mysql 5 and PHP 5 since I have some programming projects I need to test. It's not critical that I have everything running for a production environment, but of course one needs php and mysql both running to do script testing. <grin>

Thanks again,

Jim

4. ricoche

Hi again,

Just to follow-up I decided to pay and have someone take a look at the problem. It could be quite simple, but with the few years experience I've had with my servers it looks a bit beyond what I've encountered and don't have a lot of time to tinker around until these things get fixed. <grin> I've tried just about everything I could find on these forums and other places but have yet to find any solution that works. A lot of people seem to have problems with the same or similar error response, but I think the cause of the problem may be different. I'll be sure to post the answer here shortly once I get things up and running.

Thanks again,

Jim

5. ricoche

This issue has now been resolved.

Apparently I had issues related to my DNS that was causing the problem. Once I solved all of the Bind/DNS issues on the new server, Mysql popped right into gear. I didn't even think to look there, but thought I'd work on something else. Once that was all clear, I suddenly noticed Mysql was working great.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

6. useradmin

useradmin Well-Known Member

mysql failed

HI,

We tried .mysql.recover solutions but it didnt help.

so how to fix?

7. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:

This thread is over 4 years old. Please start a new thread with details of your problem for assistance, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.