The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL 5 in cPanel

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Intelliweb, Dec 3, 2005.

1. Intelliweb

Intelliweb Member

Hi, does anyone know if cPanel has any plans to include MySQL 5 in WHM/cPanel any time soon, or if they already have :eek: for that matter of fact.

Regards,
    Charlie

2. Rooter

Rooter Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    IMHO you would be best off by going with a dedicated server without any control panel if you need MySQL 5 as it's so new. No major control panel supports MySQL 5 that I know of yet.

3. Rooter

Rooter Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just came across this, you might give it a try. They are offering free MySQL 5 database hosting in exchange for you reporting bugs you experience with it to the developer, MySQL AB.

http://www.db4free.net/

4. Intelliweb

Intelliweb Member

Thnx for the info... couple more questions...

Hi folks,
    Thanks for the replies...

Being Oracle programmers (and not server admin’s, hence these possibly foolish questions) trying to be server admin's, we really want to take advantage of the new features in MySQL (Procedures/Packages, Triggers and so on) for a project, as we have found that programming in this fashion offers significant performance gains on higher demanding interfaces.

With that said we just have a couple of questions:

1) Seeing as it appears unlikely that they will be incorporating MySQL5 support in cPanel any time soon...
    a) Does anyone know if it is possible to replace/upgrade the 4.1 instance included with cPanel to v5?
    b)If this is possible, does anyone happen to have a migration plan they could share with us?​

2) If upgrading the MySQL included in cPanel is not possible...
    a) Is it possible to disable MySQL in cPanel and run v5 independently?
    b) Does anyone happen to have a plan for this option that they could share with us?
    c) Will clients be able access the MySQL5 instances from cPanel, or will we need to provide an alternative means?​

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You could check http://bugzilla.cpanel.net and see if anyone has logged an enhancement request and do so yourself if there isn't one.

MySQL v5 has only recently been released officially out of beta and cPanel may want to give it more time at stable.

If you want to run an independent version of MySQL then you can prevent cPanel from attempting to update what it believes is the installed version with:

touch /etc/mysqlupdisable

6. darkelder

darkelder Well-Known Member

How do I disable /script/mysqlup ? I added exit() on script header but I do not know if cpanel will modify it.

Any ideas?

7. darkelder

I found :)

will disable mysqlup

Now I can safely go ahead on my mySQL 5 install. I'll write an article if mySQL 5 works fine.

Does someone is using postgres 8 on cpanel?

8. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Would be nice if you could share your experiences with installing MySql5.

I'm consider doing it myself but might wait until Cpanel supports it officially before doing so if it can cause trouble in any way.

I have PostgreSQL 8 on one of my servers but will stop using it when MySql5 is installed. The new mysql-version got all the features I need so I don't see any point in keeping them both.

For my PostgreSQL has worked fine except it's a bit of work to do upgrades...

9. Intelliweb

Intelliweb Member

Thank you chirpy, et al… but…

Thank you to everyone that has responded to this thread, I am glad to see that it has found such interest and proven to help others at the same time, however I still have a question in need of an answer.

After disabling MySQL v4.x, and installing v5 (which is proving to be one heck of a compile at near 2 hrs), will my clients be able to access the new install through cPanel/phpMyAdmin or will they need to go to an alternative location.

If the latter, is it possible to have cPanel redirect to this location so clients are none the wiser.

10. darkelder

mySQL 5 is compatible with all other applications.

Of course there can be some issues of statments incompatibily and some small changes on sql language structure from 4.0 to 5.0 but probably it can be fixed easily.

I'm running mySQL 5.0 already. After some tests I'll write an article on http://cpWiki.org.

11. Bulent Tekcan

Bulent Tekcan Well-Known Member

How can I revert to original ? Cpanel default :confused:

12. darkelder

With
    Code:
    you tell cPanel to not upgrade mySQL currently official supported mySQL version.

To turn on again auto upgrade simply
    Code:
    rm /etc/mysqlupdisable
    But remember to get mySQL backups before doing that.