The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL ALTER empty TABLE taking too long

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by hmcp, Feb 16, 2013.

1. hmcp

hmcp Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

a site has an installer script that executes two SQL files, one to create the database structure, and the other to fill in some generic data. This other also alters tables and adds new columns and indexes, before inserting data. Tables are mixed MyISAM and InnoDB, mostly InnoDB, 91 tables.

The problem is that executing this SQL takes up to 5 minutes. MySQL processlist shows it hanging at alter table and create index queries, against otherwise empty tables, for several seconds per alter query.

On a NON-cpanel server (32-bit CentOS 6.3 with stock MySQL 5.1), with same hardware (Xeon 3050, 2MB RAM, 2x250GB HDD in software RAID-1) the same set of commands run in under 20 seconds, iotop showing up to 10MB written by mysqld. On this cPanel server (32-bit, CentOS 6.3 with MySQL 5.1, and upgraded to 5.5 which didn't fix anything, cPanel 11.36), it runs for 5 minutes, with iotop showing more than 200MB written by mysql, with no other site accessing MySQL during that time. Both servers have the same my.cnf.

Otherwise MySQL runs fine, the sites are snappy and there is no other visible problem, other than this issue with altering the tables, and I even consulted mysqltuner which shows no problems. The disks check fine, there are no errors thrown by MySQL or system, plenty of space and I tried even with and without MySQL tmpdir on tmpfs.

I have no idea what could be wrong. My first thought was faulty discs, but they check fine (no bad SMART attributes, io seems fine) and besides, the non-cpanel server shows much less data written by mysqld for same set of queries, so I'm guessing there's additional processing/monitoring/statistics collection or something going on with this cpanel server.

Please help.

Code:
    [mysqld]
    bind-address=127.0.0.1
    max_connections=32
    connect_timeout=10
    tmpdir="/tmp/mysql"
    thread_cache_size=64

slow_query_log=1
    long_query_time=2
    slow_query_log_file=mysql-slow.log

innodb_file_per_table=1