The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL Backup Failure Found the Hard Way

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by mattb37, Sep 6, 2009.

1. mattb37

mattb37 Registered

Hi, I have had a major problem on my webserver and had to reload the operating system. I though I had sufficient backup plans in place by using the cpanel remote backup function making a backup everyother day of every website I host. This was all good until I came to reload the websites back onto my webserver and found all the mysql directories empty. I have databases from a little over a month old as a starting block but over the last month business has been done and forums have had new posts and members.

With the mysql directory being empty have I lost all my databases in the "backups" I made?

I was using the per account and entire MySQL directory option in my backup config so I cannot understand why MySQL databases were not backed up. Not impressed with this and dont feel I can trust cpanel backup again.

Any suggestions how I could recover any of the data from the databases, maybe there are some files somewhere in my whole website backup that could be used or have I simply lost everything with the operating system reload.

Matt.

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Check one of your backups for the mysql directory. That's the one that should contain your databases.

3. mattb37

mattb37 Registered

All the mysql directories are empty in my backs contained in daily, weekly and monthly backups.

4. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Also check for the _var_lib_mysql_.tar.gz file in /backup/cpbackup/daily/dirs ( adjust path as needed ).