The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL Backup Problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by k9mark, Feb 15, 2008.

1. k9mark

k9mark Registered

I'm the webmaster of a forum and I've always done backups by going to the cPanel and in the 'Backups' section I've gone to 'Download a MySQL Database Backup' and downloaded smf1.gz

Unfortunately my bad ISP disconnected me for a week and I had to let the site's owner do the backups. I told her exactly how to do it but yesterday when I came back online she had somehow got the backups into the home directory. I deleted them but this morning when I tried to do the backup it downloaded smf1.sql.gz intead of smf1.gz

smf1.sql.gz is a tiny little file, it's only 143kb whereas the last smf1.gz backup I did was 8,303kb.

I can't work out what settings she has changed and I can't see what I need to do to be able to download smf1.gz again.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

No worries there, its the same file. The gz just means its gzipped and sql files compress really well. Sounds like your original gz was not being compressed. You probably don't have shell access so just to double check, download and unpack it to verify.

3. k9mark

k9mark Registered

Thanks, I've tried unpacking it and its just a txt document that's only 454 KB. It seems to only contain some pm's.

When I unpack the last proper backup I did it is 92,565 KB and it hasn't got an extension.

The backup always had a .gz extension but it wasn't smf1.sql.gz it was just smf1.gz

I can't see how it's changed by itself, it must be something the site's owner did in the cPanel.

4. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I would ask your host to take a look at it.