The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mysql best practices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dwh, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dwh

dwh Member

There is a page of mysql best practices:
    http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/07/11/MySQLtips.html

One thing they refer to specifically is the root user...does cpanel use this root used for any of it's scripts or nightly processes? Will renaming it cause any problems? Here's the quote, thanx! :

2. feanor

feanor Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure all of the tie-ins to mysql administration, including the phpMyAdmin.... perhaps all of the cpanel tasks that require a socket connection to the mysql server happen with root authority.

I know this is a big deal, at any rate, they put in a ton of hooks and features in the backend to make sure you can keep a handle on the mysql root password...... and I know if you just haphazardly change the mysql root pass without &notifying& your cpanel software, it will break anything and everything mysql as far as the cpanel software is concerned.

perhaps Darkorb can elaborate more, they coded it.
    :p

3. dwh

dwh Member

yeah. that's kind of what I thought. Should I make an enhancement/feature request that a future version of cpanel.net allows you to change the root user...or at least defaults a different user than &root& as default. (Of course anyone that knows the innards of cpanel and that a server runs it will be able to figure it out easily, it's still better than leaving the default..but then I'm no security expert).