The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL config file contains nothing? And some other related issues.

Discussion in 'Workarounds and Optimization' started by UncleIrohAP, Jul 27, 2010.

1. UncleIrohAP

UncleIrohAP Registered

Hey all, sorry to not properly introduce myself before asking for help, however, this is a pressing matter for my site and wish to rectify it soon.

[long post]
    My site began experiencing a large number of 500 errors for visitors, and has seen my 'named' server go down a couple dozen times in the past few days. Upon contacting Web Hosting Pad's VPS people, I have been told that I should optimize my mysql. Trouble is, my experience with mysql can put into a dime bag, all of which I acquired today on google.

So after looking into ways to optimize the mysql server on my site, I have found that my /etc/my.cnf is completely blank according to my SSh program, and that I have been suggested by the program I am running to:

Add skip-innodb to MySQL configuration to disable InnoDB
    Run OPTIMIZE TABLE to defragment tables for better performance
    MySQL started within last 24 hours - recommendations may be inaccurate
    Enable the slow query log to troubleshoot bad queries
    When making adjustments, make tmp_table_size/max_heap_table_size equal
    Reduce your SELECT DISTINCT queries without LIMIT clauses
    Set thread_cache_size to 4 as a starting value
    Increase table_cache gradually to avoid file descriptor limits
    Variables to adjust:
    query_cache_size (>= 8M)
    tmp_table_size (> 32M)
    max_heap_table_size (> 16M)
    thread_cache_size (start at 4)
    table_cache (> 64)

All that might as well been in Cantonese to me (which is a lovely language I've heard, but no use to me here).

Recap:
    -No experience in mysql
    -500.shtml errors abound on site
    -/etc/my.cnf file does not seem to contain any settings, and I would like to change that
    [/long post]

So, that is about the pickle I am in. I have barely any experience in MySQL, but am willing and able to pick it up quickly here if given ways to a solution. I'd love to create a working /etc/my.cnf file and help get my site running smoothly once more.

Sorry again to barge in with my problem, though the FAQ search function does not seem to lead me to any answers and searching posts has led me to some little hints, but no bigger answers.

Update: I have created a rudimentary my.cnf file, however, upon uploading it to the /etc/ directory and refreshing MySQL, I am still told the file contains nothing. This file contains the variables I adjusted, but that seems to have not worked.

#1 UncleIrohAP, Jul 27, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. UncleIrohAP

UncleIrohAP Registered

Repost and a bump.

I have created and maintained a well-to-do /etc/my.cnf file. I have ruled that out as my issue, now.

Now it seems to be apache. I was told earlier by my site hosts that this might have been the problem, and it seems they were right.

My site, www.theavatarportal.org, sees many members being led to a white page. Thus it seems my apache settings are completely out of whack.

Here are my server stats:
    RAM: 512mb (~200MB used)
    CPU: 4x2.33Ghz

Site stats:
    Average traffic of ~10GB/day
    Average active visitors ~50-200

Apache config:
    StartServers: 5
    MinSpareServers: 16
    MaxSpareServers: 32
    MaxClients: 250
    MaxRequestsPerChild : 10000

I am running out of ways to repair this server on my own power. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

#2 UncleIrohAP, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010