The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mysql - configuration file

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pop, Jun 2, 2004.

1. pop

pop Member

Hello,

1. what is the mysql upload limit ? are there any restrictions ?

2. where is the mysql configuartion file located ? to change any configurations ?

2. JayPee

JayPee Member

me too have the same doubt

3. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

what upload limit... this is controlled by your application, like Perl or PHP that is uploading data too MySQL :rolleyes:

the configuration file is normally located either in the /etc/my.cnf or on most RH/Linux RPM default installs, in the /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf

when MySQL starts, it'll look first in the /etc folder, then the /var/lib/mysql folder for the configuration file, if none found, it will use all the default settings.

If your using a Cpanel box, then there is a my.cnf file in the /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/ folder also.

Hope this helps :)
    Mickalo

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

Re: Re: mysql - configuration file

You may need to adjust the max_allowed_packet value in your my.cnf (at the location mickalo provided) if you are running into errors.

5. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: mysql - configuration file

I've found that on a med to med/heavy DB system, about 1M usually does the trick... or should :)

Mickalo

6. ehpsubrat

ehpsubrat Member

In one of my server the my.cnf file shows only two lines of configuration
    This my.cnf file is exist in the /etc and in the /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/ directory

[mysqld]
    set-variable = max_connections=500
    safe-show-database

Where I can edit the rest of the option. Any Idea ??

7. zenpig66

zenpig66 Active Member

One place to check is /usr/share/mysql/ which will have a few example .cnfs from my-huge.cnf to my-small.cnf which in my opinion work well 'out of the box'. They are well commented to give you an idea of what is going on and if you want to try one, you'd need to copy it as /etc/my.cnf, replacing the default my.cnf in the /etc directory. I wouldn't use my-huge.cnf unless you are pretty much running a server dedicated to mysql but it is trial and error to see what works best. Once you replace it, you'd need to stop mysql and kill all mysqld processes then start mysql back up again for the new my.cnf to 'take effect'.

This is probably a good place to start.....once you become comfortable with it all, you may find you want to play with it more and optimize my.cnf further.