The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL database confusion

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by melissadana, Mar 27, 2009.

1. melissadana

melissadana Registered

Hi,

I'm really new here, so I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I would really appreciate the help! :)

I'm trying to set up Indexhibit, a web application for building websites, but first I need to provide access to my database information. Though I already have my host, db name, db user, and password, and I'm pretty sure they're correct, I'm still not able to connect.

I have noticed that, although I can create a database when I go through the "MySQL Databases" link on the home page, when I go through "phpMyAdmin," it says I do not have the privileges to create a database.

I'm guessing that therein lies the problem, but thats really the only clue I have. Has anyone else run into a similar problem, or have any leads as to where I can try to figure it out?

I have also guessed that maybe my formatting for my db, user, and host are incorrect? (localhost, master_db, master_user, passsword?)

I'd appreciate any clues cause I'm feeling really dense right now.

Thanks!

2. ChrisRHS

ChrisRHS Well-Known Member

From my understanding, you will not be able to create a database through phpmyadmin, you are only able to create a database through the CPanel interface. I suggest you use the Database Wizard to create a new database, database user and password. Make sure you select "all" when you hit the permissions page. Once done, use the values you have entered as your sql details.

Make sure you have the correct format for the db and username, which goes like this:

user_dbname
    user_dbusername

For example, if your login name for Cpanel is melissad, and you create a db named "indexdb", with the user name for that database of "indexuser", the details you need to enter in your config file would be:

melissad_indexdb --> database name
    melissad_indexuser --> database user name

Hope this helps

3. melissadana

melissadana Registered

Thanks!!!

I had been creating databases and usernames on the "MySQL Database" page, which doesn't ask you anything about privileges.

Thanks again!