The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL Database Names Now Limited to 16 Characters?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Memphis Foundry, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Memphis Foundry

Memphis Foundry Registered

Hello -- I'm migrating an older server running WHM/cPanel to a new server. Both the old server and the new server are running the same version of cPanel and WHM on the same platform:

cPanel 11.25.0-S43473 - WHM 11.25.0 - X 3.9
    REDHAT Enterprise 4 x86_64

On the old server, I have some MySQL databases created under cPanel that have moderately long names -- 21-24 characters. When I try to create these databases on the new server, the cPanel MySQL Databases screen gives me the following error:

Database name cannot be longer than 16 characters.

I went back to the old server and tried to create a new MySQL database longer than 16 characters in length and got the same result. So this appears to be a restriction that was implemented in cPanel some time ago, but old databases with longer names were apparently "grandfathered in" when the change was made.

My question is, is this 16 character limit a parameter than I can change on the new server? It won't bother me if databases I create in the future can't be longer than 16 characters. But having to shorten the names of these existing databases on the new box will mean that I have to modify the connect strings of thousands of webpages as a part of the migration.

Related question: If I use the WHM Copy Account function to migrate the account from the old server to the new one (Main >> Transfers >> Copy an account from another server), will the old databases be copied with their existing "grandfathered" long names, or will the long names on the old server cause an issue on the new server when I attempt the migration? (I would just attempt this without asking except that I would rather not quiesce the databases on the production server during the migration. I was hoping to stand up the new server and restore the last DB backups so that my developers could test prior to the actual server migration.)

Thanks in advance for any information y'all can provide.

2. redcable

redcable Active Member

yes, I to would like to know who the brainchild of this was. Why would you not base your limits on those of the system you are using. mysql allows for certain special characters and 64 characters.

Such a dumbzy move and created quite a bit of work for allot of people.

3. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  4. redcable

redcable Active Member

Thanks, the first thread I knew about and understand, the second is on target for what I need, awesome, thanks, and well appreciated!