The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL Database's disapearing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by okthen, May 21, 2004.

1. okthen

okthen Registered

Ok I now have been on two differant hosting companies and each of them had a bug in there mysql databases, in the way that one monment they would all be there next they would all be gone, and you couldnt create a new one till the hosting fixed what ever went wrong in the first place.

Is there an Actual bug in the Cpanel code in that it deletes the databases every now and again?

2. icanectc

icanectc Well-Known Member

I have never had this happened and I have been with cPanel for 2 years +.

3. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

I have been working with MySQL and Cpanels for about 3yrs and never heard of a bug like this.... are you sure someone is not just deleteing the databases ??

In a Cpanel setup, when an account is created, you must assign them atleast one MySQL database in a "package" when the account is sent up. If no MySQL database is allowed when the account is created, they will not be able to create a database at all. Other then that, never heard of databases "disappearing".... :)

Mickalo

4. okthen

okthen Registered

well, both of my hosts had the same problem.

www.hostony is one of them and every now and again all my databases would just go. then I d have to go and ask them what was going on they say we had a bug in our databases and its now working.

but now on my new host the exact same thing has happened all the databases have just gone.

is there maybe a weakness that a hacker can use to delete all databases?

5. icanectc

Well thats always a possibility but unlikely. Maybe you should change hosts.... /cough...

6. mickalo

well the first thing I would do is examine whom has global privileges to ALL the databases and if you have any user that may have remote host privileges "%" indicates any host from any where can connect.

If you have a firewall setup make sure port 3306, the common port used for MySQL, is not open.

Unless you have some 3rd party software running somewhere that is causing the problem??

Do you know what version of MySQL your running, what type of O/S it is, how it was installed ??

Mickalo

7. icanectc

he is running a virutal host account.. he is not the sys admin. Most likely he will not have any of that info.

8. mickalo

Sounds like they may need a good DBA... :D

Mickalo

9. pizzaboy_au

pizzaboy_au Registered

This is happening with one of my accounts too. Once i find the solution i will post it up here.

I just recently updated to the current version. I updated to this version due to exim mail server problems.

10. rvskin

rvskin Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Did you changed the username of the hosting account? Did this account move from other servers?

There are few case that cause this. If it is the case, you should suggest your provider to edit Mysql table. Because now your new username doesn't have enough priviledge to access the old name. I had this issue a long time ago.

11. pizzaboy_au

pizzaboy_au Registered

No actually the username was the same and this account was never transferred.

It was working before i updated cpanel.

Thanks for your advice Rvskin.