The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL DB names and users

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MonkeyPants, Jul 10, 2003.

1. MonkeyPants

MonkeyPants Member

Is there a way to stop cPanel from creating MySQL databases and users with names that go:

siteadminname_username

Say for example I copy an existing site from another server not using cPanel which uses only dbname or username .

Once the copy is complete, my database has been named siteadminname_dbname.

Here's a specific example. I have a client with a rather poorly done PHP site in terms of database access and authentication. Of the several hundred files for the site, perhaps 1/3 have lines specifying the username, password, and database name for the database.
    So before on the other server the db access username was green and the admin username was green and the database was named:

greenfrogs

Now that it's transferred over to the cPanel server the db username is:

green_green

the admin user is still green
    and the database is called:

green_greenfrogs

This messed things up significantly. Rather than changing all of the PHP files I recreated the original usernames and database names on the new server to get everything working correctly again.

Is there a way to prevent this? I am beginning to think the cPanel installation on our server is messed up.

Thanks,
    MonkeyPants. :D

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Well-Known Member

From my understanding thats the way it is designed to work. If the DBs were not named to the accounts then the first person to name a DB "main" would lock out that name for anyone else to use. Also w/o the names the way it is it would be hard to regulate which accounts had rights to what DBs.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: