The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL dbnames

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by babaloo, May 26, 2005.

1. babaloo

babaloo Registered

The idea of forcing new dbnames to have the prefix mainuser is certainly a very messy solution to whatever the problem may be.

If I have to move the DB to somewhere else under cpanel, it will be renamed othermainuser_oldmainuser_dbname, which automatically
    screws up every program that accesses it, be it written in perl, PHP, VBasic, C++ or cuneiform.

It is a very unelegant way of doing things.

2. RAIS2

RAIS2 Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is good that db's are created username_db. This is because some users will name db's identically ( ie forum ) if multiple users db were created like that then there would be obvious issues of view and/or overwritting others information ( not good )

With db names created like so ( prefixing the users db with username_ )
    I think you think this is a messy solution because when you created the DB for this account you added ( oldmainusername_ as a prefix of yourown ) When you move your domain and database driven website from one server to another you should be expected to update important information to your scripts ( ie change the dbname, username, password ) to ensure connectivity and transitioning between hosts.

Doing ANY manual transition of a website between servers ( and possibly different control panels ), you should expect the unexpected and be able to troubleshoot the problem. In this case ( you claiming it will break many scripts ) I think that is totally untrue and you should be able to update to the relevent information by editing a few lines in what ever script you are using.

3. babaloo

babaloo Registered

Maybe it wouldn't be too much of a problem when you have a single script that does stuff to the DB, but when you have a whole corral of nerds pumping out code, moving DBs from one place to another under such circumstances can become a nightmare.

Real-world OSs have no trouble with conflicts - when somebody tries to create a file with the same name as an existing one, he gets a message. Why would cpanel want to do things differently?