Mysql errors after upgrading to 5.7

Kikloo

Mar 31, 2017
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,

I am constantly getting errors after upgrading to mysql 5.7. I was hesitant that after the upgrade I will end up with errors and my nightmares became true. I upgraded and now whenever I try to goto mysql in cpanel I get the following:

---
The MySQL server is currently offline.
Error while connecting to MySQL: (XID ezmaex) The system failed to connect to the “MySQL” database “mysql” because of an error: ER_ACCESS_DENIED_ERROR (Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)) Error while connecting to MySQL: (XID ezmaex) The system failed to connect to the “MySQL” database “mysql” because of an error: ER_ACCESS_DENIED_ERROR (Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)) at /usr/local/cpanel/Cpanel/Mysql/Basic.pm line 397, <STDIN> line 1.
---

mysql is up and running and sites are also working, only that when I try to access mysql in cpanel I get the above.

When I try to run "mysql" in ssh i get another error:

---
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
---

What is happening ? How do I fix this ????

Please help.

Thanks.

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
If that does not work, then you've got something very strange going on that we would not be able to tell without mor info as you really just need to start digging around.

Does phpmyadmin load from WHM (Probably not)?

You might want to log in the error log for mysql in /var/lib/mysql and see if there are any clues in there. Perhaps the mysql database is corrupted.

You could also try bypassing cPanel and just forcing a root password change manually. Info here:

Reset a MySQL root password

These are generic instructions so may need to be interpreted a little for cPanel.

Once you set a working mysql passowrd you may want to try running a repair on at least the mysql database if not all databases.

You also may want to run mysql_upgrade once you have a working passowrd because if the upgrade process could not connect like you cannot connect then that may not have been run yet.

Kikloo

Mar 31, 2017
India
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
hi,

phpMyadmin from WHM is loading.
I have also set the mysql password.

But in WHM > Service Status : mysql is showing as down, where as all the websites etc. are working with mysql.

I am not sure what is really going on.

This is so much weird.

Please help.

Thanks.

GOT

Get Proactive!
PartnerNOC
Apr 8, 2003
Chesapeake, VA
cPanel Access Level
DataCenter Provider
Solving this is probably going to take a seasoned administrator since the obvious and normal fixes are not working. You may want to consider putting a ticket in with cPanel so they can log in and look.