The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL failure

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hparra, Aug 20, 2005.

1. hparra

hparra Member

Greetings!

I purchased a dedicated box and since I've had it mySQL has refused to startup. I upgraded to the latest RELEASE version and I still get this error from CPanel:

/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)' Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists! mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "mysql has failed").

I figured maybe I can get away upgrading mysql to 4.1 and see if that just fixes whatever problem is there in the process. I haven't done so yet.

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=42593

The box is FreeBSD 5.4 RELEASE. I saw this thread and coincidently my eximstats doesn't work either. Neither does interchange or spamd. They all refuse to execute even if i try to do it manually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

Does /tmp/mysql.sock exist then? Did this error occur after a cpanel update or apache rebuild?

Clear out your /tmp folder and restart mysql - what happens?

3. hparra

hparra Member

4. adept2003

adept2003 Well-Known Member

since the problems occurred after a cpanel update, i'd suggest you do the following to retry the cpanel update: /scripts/upcp --force

5. hparra

hparra Member

Nothing. Tried everything on that page, and the error from mysqld_safe is a simple "Abort trap"

The problem existed even before the update. I'm going to go ahead and update to 4.1 and see if that fixes the problem as a side-effect.

6. Webjunkie

Webjunkie Active Member
    PartnerNOC

You might try putting the following line in /etc/my.cnf:

socket=/var/db/mysql/mysql.sock

You might also check the ownership of /var/db/mysql.

If /var/db/mysql/mysql does not exists, MySQL was never setup properly and you need to run mysql_install_db.

Unfortunately, Cpanel doesn't do these automatically in the installation process for some reason.

7. elix

elix Well-Known Member

Recompile PHP using Apache Update under software in WHM w/ "Use System MySQL".

Regards,

8. hparra

hparra Member

Well. Funny how this all turned out.

I upgraded to mysql 4.1 thinking it might resolve the issue. It didn't. I went ahead and followed the instruction in 'Tweak Settings' and attempted to rebuild apache only to find the script looping like mad because there was "no space".

The problem? Bad /home symlink. It was pointing to the old home on my tiny root partition and not the new one in /usr/home. Thanks to the major hosting provider that totally screwed that up big time. After that was fixed all my problems vanished.

Thanks guys.

9. denisdekat09

denisdekat09 Well-Known Member

you could try /scripts/mysqlup

I think this will re-install MySQL to the latest version of your currently selected version. This fixed it for me once...