The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mySQL FreeBSD Broken

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kofi, May 28, 2005.

1. kofi

kofi Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

mySQL was up and running on our server (FreeBSD 5.2.1), but when noticed it was receiving a high load we used the WHM restart mySQL feature. This caused us to to receive the following error:

/usr/local/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)' Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists! mysql has failed, please contact the sysadmin (result was "mysql has failed").

We attempted to restart again several times, but it gave the same error. Upon checking the mysql.sock file, it had been removed and just become a blank file (rather than a symlink). We removed this and then resymlinked it to the correct socket file, and restarted again. This did not help, and cPanel keeps removing the socket file and replacing it with a blank one.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get this working?

Note: i have already submitted a ticket to cPanel and we are awaiting reply.

2. kofi

kofi Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I found a bit more info which migh help, we received the following error when attempting to restart:

050528 02:50:44 mysqld started
    050528 2:50:44 bdb: Recovery function for LSN 1 3585550 failed
    mysqld in free(): error: chunk is already free
    mysqld got signal 6;
    This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
    or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
    or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
    We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
    the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
    and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=16777216
    read_buffer_size=2093056
    max_used_connections=0
    max_connections=500
    threads_connected=0
    It is possible that mysqld could use up to
    key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 2574380 K
    bytes of memory
    Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

mysqld in free(): error: recursive call
    Fatal signal 6 while backtracing
    050528 02:50:44 mysqld ended

3. amaru21

amaru21 Registered

I have just install Cpanel on a FreeBSD 5.4 machine and am getting tons of messages saying that MySql and Eximstats failed to start. When trying to start MySQL I get the following:

It is possible that mysqld could use up to
    key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 19071 K
    bytes of memory
    Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

mysqld in free(): error: recursive call
    050828 19:14:01 mysqld ended

I have uninstalled MySQL and reinstalled via the ports collection with no success.

4. kofi

kofi Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

How much RAM do you have in the machine?

Check your /etc/my.cnf and paste the contents here.

5. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

Yep, I was beating my head for two days on a new FREEBSD install, finally subitted a ticket and their is a bug in the cpanel install script. Hope this helps;

http://bugzilla.cpanel.net/show_bug.cgi?id=2633

Just one word of caution, after you get the system tables built, it will wipe out eximstats and will need to be recreated by hand.

6. John9276

John9276 Member

FreeBSD

I decided to buy a license from a company that installs CPanel for me. I have FreeBSD 5.4. I did a clean install myself and installed a cpanel trial, and I got the same mysql.sock error. After trying the various solutions I found on the net, I decided to have this company do it for me).

I installed a clean install of FreeBSD 5.4 for them to install Cpanel. They installed CPanel... Same problem. The only thing I'm glad about is that it wasn't just me.