The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL High CPU Usage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sparek-3, Dec 20, 2008.

1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Has anyone experienced a problem with high MySQL CPU usage since the 11.24 upgrade? Or with the MySQL 5 upgrade?

I upgraded one of our servers to 11.24 back in the week and also upgraded to MySQL 5 at that same time. cPanel version is 11.24.4-RELEASE_32470. Mysql version is 5.0.67.

/usr/sbin/mysqld just runs forever at 100% CPU in top. The server may run fine for a couple of hours and then suddenly this mysql process gets hung up.

If you do a look at the mysql processlist, it doesn't seem like any of the connections ever die off. Currently there are about 558 MySQL connections to the server. They all just appear to be locked.

I really am not sure what keeps causing this. You can restart MySQL and it may run fine for an hour or so, then this happens all over again. The only changes that have been made to the server are the upgrade to 11.24 and the MySQL upgrade to 5.0.67.

Has anyone else ever experienced a similar issue?

2. yolau

yolau Active Member

3. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe I have isolated the problem to an account on the server that is running osCommerce. Apparently the osCommerce script is running some very long join queries which is causing the mysql service to hang up. I have disabled the user's database, and everything has been running fine for the past hour.

Did anyone experience a similar problem as this when upgrading from MySQL 4.1 to MySQL 5.0? We upgraded all of our servers to MySQL 5.0 and I'm sure there are other accounts on our hosting servers that run osCommerce, yet this is the only server and only account that seems to be experiencing problems.