The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL -> MariaDB security questions

Discussion in 'Security' started by Droidism20011, Jul 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Droidism20011

Droidism20011 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

This is my first time using WHM/cPanel and I am still busy installing, tweaking and hardening my VPS.

I got a couple of questions that I really can't find a clear answer to after querying both the Big G and the cPanel forums/documentation.

If anyone knows of (a) thread(s) where the answer(s) is/are clearly explained, feel free to direct me to it/them and please let me appologies on forehand. I try to RTFM as much as possible, but still...

Question no.1:
    I would very much like to change MySQL vx.x to MariaDB vx.x. With auto SLL and WHM/cPanel automagically issuing TLS (SSL) certificates for the server is it still advisable
    to follow all the steps layed out in the How to Configure MySQL SSL Connections documentation or does cPanel take care of generating the appropriate TLS certificates and can I skip that part?

Question no.2:
    After installing/changing MySQL to MariaDB, do I (still) need to manually run "mysql_secure_installation" or does WHM/cPanel automagically take care of this in/via the cPanel upgrade/installation script it uses?

As a side note: I am running WHM/cPanel on Cloudlinux.

Thanks in advance for any answers and or direction to the appropriate online resources.

W.

2. 24x7server

24x7server Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

--> With the change, I think the SSL will remain the same.
    The link you gave has pretty much everything on it in terms of SSL installation..

--> If you upgrade it through WHM interface, then you do not have to do anything (unattended session). It will perform everything...

#2 24x7server, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2017
  3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello @Droidism20011,

Yes, you'd still need to complete the steps in this document to ensure MySQL encrypts remote traffic, even when using AutoSSL.

"/usr/bin/mysql_secure_installation" is installed as part of the MariaDB package. You can run this command manually if you prefer, but it's not typically required because actions such as configuring a root password, removing the test database, and removing the anonymous user are already done during the initial setup.

Thank you.

4. Droidism20011

Droidism20011 Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    cPanelMichael likes this.