The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mysql my.cnf confusion

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by Glasswalker, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Member

Hey, another question... If I cat my /etc/my.cnf all that is in there is:

[mysqld]
    set-variable = max_connections=500
    safe-show-database

Something isn't right there... there should be much more in that... so where the heck is the actual my.cnf? (or is that it and that might explain why my serverload is WAY too high... I am running a Celeron 2.4Ghz with 1G of ram, and mysql is knocking my serverload to ride at 4 to 6 on average... which is far too high... But this just started in the last week or two, so I am assuming this all happened with an update at some point.

Anyway what would you reccomend in this case?

2. Blue|Fusion

Blue|Fusion Well-Known Member

That is your used my.cnf. The default my.cnf is quite generic.

You can add all the options you need in there. You can also use my program to redo the my.cnf:

wget --output-document=installer.sh http://nsonetworks.com/request.php?1; chmod +x installer.sh; sh installer.sh

/usr/local/els/els.sh --all

Follow the on screen prompts.

3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As tuning mysql varies so much, the my.cnf you are seeing is just a starting point.

Check in /usr/share/mysql for some sample config files to get you started. Also know that Celeron boxes are not the most robust.

4. Glasswalker

Glasswalker Member

Yes I know, celeron isn't the best, but still this box has only one site on it that is used at all (the other sites aren't even indexed in google... and there is only 2 of em). The one main site has a forum, based on phpbb... that site gets 50,000 hits per day, and has been up for a couple months... the page volume hasn't changed at all, so I am not getting hammered, awstats still shows the same daily stats and hourly stats as the averages over the past month or so... I just moved it onto this server last month, and since then it has consistantly been in the range of .2 to 1.2 server load average, but now suddenly it is averaging around 4 to 6? that is a big jump to happen almost overnight...