The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mysql overloaded

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by perfect-games, Aug 10, 2005.

1. perfect-games

perfect-games Well-Known Member

seems mysql keeps overloading i tweaked everything else that was causing problems but now i get this

mysql 0.89 11.89 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 61.0 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/***.pid --skip-locking
    Top Process %CPU 41.0 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/***.com.pid --skip-locking
    Top Process %CPU 40.0 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/***.com.pid --skip-locking

and only says mysql causing the problem i think its ensim stats but cant be sure,
    can anyone have a look at this or guide me how to do this becuase running out of cpu power

and memory gets on the high side

thanks

steve

#1 perfect-games, Aug 10, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  2. perfect-games

help plz ?
    anyone know how to lower mysql usage

3. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

This is not Ensim control panel related problem. You need to find out if your scripts, php and/or cgi/perl, are not the cause. In addition, your server might be under UDP/TCP attacks.

4. perfect-games

this is getting so bad now

mysql 34.25 179.91 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 2.9 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/***.com.pid --skip-locking --port3306 --socket/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    Top Process %CPU 2.8 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/***.com.pid --skip-locking --port3306 --socket/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
    Top Process %CPU 2.7 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir/ --datadir/var/lib/mysql --usermysql --pid-file/var/lib/mysql/***.com.pid --skip-locking --port3306 --socket/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

anyone know how to fix it

5. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

same error here.

It appears that the problem started yesterday, and i make no changes at all in the server, except the update of the cpanel (/scripts/upcp).

Seems to me that its a bug in the upgrade.

6. jacks

jacks Active Member

hire a sys admin to sort this out for ya.

7. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

Some help will be apreciated, malicious and ironic comentary no, if you are the great hacker what about help people instead of judge them? Or you dont know to solve this problem and just want to disturb the forum.

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Actually, he's quite correct. Such issues are standard fare for a server admin. For MySQL issues, you're best starting place is the mysql site itself, since cPanel doesn't do anything different with MySQL out of the box.

9. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

Its useless try to make something in a cpanel box, in the next update all the work goes to the trash, i already pass to this several times, its not a question about admin its a simple question about that we can do nothing, only wait for cpanel release the bugfix, or try some work around until the bugfix, so my question is:

There are some work around for this mysql overloading, since the cpanel update?

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Nope, that's not how cPanel works. upcp runs /scripts/mysqlup which checks against MySQL's own mirrors for new releases that cPanel supports and installs them from source if necessary. It does not touch /etc/my.cnf which is your configuration file to control the resource usage and performance of MySQL. So, it is your responsibility to tune MySQL if it's not performing well with your usage profile.

For MySQL performance tuning, you need to consult the MySQL site.

11. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

So, if my mysql works fine until i do /scripts/upcp its my fault? I agree! Im realy a stupid for believe that cpanel know what they do, so next time i will not use upcp untill i have totaly shure of this is not gonna happen again, and have to deal with my clients, complaning about their sites offline.

12. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

There's no need to make such sarcastic comments.

I've told you what upcp runs, so you can look for yourself in /scripts/mysqlup and see what it does. Your server performance, including all the apps is your responsibility, no-one elses. As has already been pointed out, if you don't understand how MySQL works you either have to learn yourself or hire someone who does. Complaining on here and avoiding having to do the necessary work will not get your problem with your server configuration fixed.

13. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

Btw, i have copies of the my.cnf and they look like the actual in the /etc:
    [mysqld]
    set-variable = max_connections=500
    safe-show-database
    # other options here
    old-passwords

I strongly believe that this mysql overload its caused by the last upcp, since i have no new client since yesterday and make no changes at all in the system.

14. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

So, you haven't done any MySQL tuning since you have the default options in it. Have you actually been to the MySQL site and looked through the performance tuning sections and tried fixing the problem yourself?

15. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

Nothing wrong with that, but this does not answer the question:

Why this happen after the upcp? I still believe that this mysql overload its related to the upcp, some how!

16. Israel.lopez

Israel.lopez Member

Ya know, it could have been coincidental.

I agree, There could be a mutlitude of things that could be happening to mysql.

Including a faulty PHP or Perl Script with a bad connection string, or just lots of hits.

Its not CPanels Reponsibility of keeping your machines online. Whoever your admin is should know whats up.

17. WebXplosion

WebXplosion Registered

Actually, this _is_ a cpanel bug.
    I've had the same problem recurring, exclusively on cpanel servers.
    Fixed it once, but it just re-appeared after a while.
    Unfortunately I can't say if it occured after a specific update, but I am 100% certain that I did not change anything on the server (especially not on mysql) to cause this problem.
    Nor is it a script issue, since I didn't have any heavy scripts running at that time.

I think many people have this same problem, but possibly with less inconvenience than some. But that doesn't mean it should not be looked into, or solved ;)
    If I find the solution I'll reply here.

18. ricardom

ricardom Active Member

Exactly what im saying here since my firt message in this topic.

Ill appreciated if tell us how to fix this, today my only "patch" was set the PRM to 1min, instead of 5min, and cut of the resources that mysql could use, this action holds the mysql but can prejudice the clients, when they have no connection at all with the mysql.

Best,

19. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you have proof that you have found a bug, then you should log it in bugzilla and/or log a support ticket with cPanel/your cPanel license provider and have them investigate.

So far, I have only seen posts from people who have not done any MySQL tuning, which proves nothing at all.

20. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

i have just upgraded to 10.6.0 release version. So far the server is working fine. I will monitor mysql to see if anything is wrong. FYI, I have not done any tuning to mysql. If it's not broken I am not fixing.

BTW, you won't find any control panel that can guarantee an upgrade will not break anything. That is due to the nature of linux and opensource systems. All those packages and integration from hundreds of different developers will bound to have problems. From my experience, cpanel is one of the best. It is so much more better than ensim.

I am not saying that it's okay to release an upgrade that will cause problems but sometimes it is out of their knowledge what 101 things can happen. That's why cpanel have all the different version on their product. If your only concern is stability, you should go for stable versions.