The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL Problems

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by farklem, Oct 28, 2005.

1. farklem

farklem Registered

BIG MySQL Problem

My dedicated server host installed Centos and cpanel today. When I went to try and create MySQL databases, I noticed that nothing happened. When I try and change the MySQL root password, I get an error saying that it failed. MySQL seems to be installed but its not functioning properly. When I go to cpanel for one of my accounts, the MySQL version shows up as "mysqlversion". When I try to do mysql restart it says "ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)". It also gives me that error when I try and change user or db password through cpanel. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Jason Szwed

#1 farklem, Oct 28, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

Jason,

Get your host provider/DC/NOC on top of this.

It is very possible that when they loaded your OS and cPanel, that they missed adding/updating a few packages and they (hopefully/willingly) are responsible for ensuring that your new server is fully functional when they hand the reigns/keyboard over to you.

3. aby

aby Well-Known Member

Are you able to restart the mysql from shell or WHM. Is it giving any errors?

Also what do you get when you type " mysql " from shell ?