The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL remote connection?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by brettz9, Apr 6, 2005.

1. brettz9

brettz9 Member

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew with what IP address I would need to replace "localhost" in a MySQL command to connect from a remote location...I am also wondering whether I need to add a host on the SQL databases page to allow this to happen, in which case I'd also like to know how to find out which IP address to use for that as well...

thank you in advance,
    Brett

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

When connecting to a MySQL database on a given server from a different server, replace "localhost" with the IP address of the machine running the MySQL database.

In the MySQL section in Cpanel, you'd need to add the IP of the machine from which you want to access the database in the "Access hosts" section.

To give an example:

Server A with IP address 123.123.123.123 is running a MySQL database
    Server B with IP address 231.231.231.231 wants to access the MySQL database on server A.

When connecting to the MySQL database on server A from server B, replace "localhost" in the MySQL connect command with 123.123.123.123.

In Cpanel on server A, add the IP address 231.231.231.231 (server B) to the "Access hosts" section on the MySQL page.

3. brettz9

brettz9 Member

Thanks

Thank you for clarifying that for me...

I guess the reason my entering the domain earlier did not work was only because I hadn't enabled the remote login for my IP address...

thanks again,
    Brett

4. chaloupe

chaloupe Well-Known Member

Is there a way to do a test to see if it's connecting properly?

From a remote server to a MySQL database on another server..

5. chaloupe

I think our server itself is not letting any outside connection to the MySQL service. Is there a files or settings we need to do to allowed remote website to connect to a MySQL database remotely?

6. wptechno

wptechno Active Member

did anyone figure this one out?

I keep getting an error when trying to connect remotely.

7. chaloupe

I have a dedicated server with HG and I had not been able to make a remote connection form my server in Dallas to a remote server in Canada....

I have check to make sure that I have added the IP of the remote server, check in the MySQL admin for the user to be the IP instead of @localhost.....

It seems that I have not been able to make it work at this time. I about to take an account of shared web hosting just to check If I am able to make it connect in case that my Canadian server was not ready for connection on port 3306.