The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL Required

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by kbuser, Oct 14, 2014.

1. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I have moved this post to it's own thread. Yes, MySQL is required because it's utilized for several options (e.g. eximstats, webmail, cphulk, mod_security, transfers).

Thank you.

3. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

If they're "options" then MySQL shouldn't be required if they're not used. It seems MySQL is required for WHM/cPanel core functionality, regardless of the utilization of the aforementioned options. I'm not able to find any documentation on this, or any ways to adjust the MySQL connection used.

Account modifications or creations fail when done through the WHM interface if MySQL isn't run on the local machine and available using the default sock file. Yet you can still create accounts using the API, although I wouldn't be surprised if portions of the account creation failed and I'm just not seeing the issues caused by this yet.

Why is MySQL required to change an account's domain name? As far as I knew, cPanel/WHM doesn't store any account information in MySQL, this seems like an oversight.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The cPanel username is associated with it's MySQL username, thus MySQL is utilized when a change to the name occurs. It's part of the core functionality of cPanel, but you could submit a feature request for it's complete exclusion:

Submit A Feature Request

Thank you.

5. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

Thank you Michael, that makes much more sense to me.

Presently my group of cPanel/WHM servers are using an SSH tunnel to connect to a central/shared MySQL database. Because of this no db is available over the unix socket. Is there a way to configure WHM to use a TCP connection for this functionality instead?

6. kbuser

kbuser Well-Known Member

I turned MySQL back on using a non-standard port to test. It is available over the unix socket. Attempting to modify an account name in WHM just sits and spins with no progress and no errors. Nothing showing up in the MySQL processlist.

7. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Feel free to open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.