The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL setting rights

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aerosmith, Mar 29, 2002.

1. Aerosmith

Aerosmith Well-Known Member

Is there a way to configure the particular rights a given user is granted in MySQL when you set them up. I know that MySQL itself can set user rights at the Database, Table, or field level and can grant specific rights (select, insert, update, etc). I just need to know if WHM can access this functionality. If not will t do so in future releases?

2. ZeroFill

ZeroFill Active Member

I want to know this too. Some users only need SELECT (read only) and right now, "WITH GRANT OPTION" isn't getting set, so i cannot go into ssh and use mysql to delegate privilages to other mysql users

CPanel
    mysql> show grants for user@localhost;
    +----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Grants for user@localhost |
    +----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'xyz' |
    | GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `db1`.* TO 'user'@'localhost' |
    2 rows in set (0.00 sec)

HSphere
    mysql> show grants for 'user';
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Grants for user@% |
    +-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    | GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY PASSWORD 'xyz' |
    | GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `db1`.* TO 'user'@'%' WITH GRANT OPTION |
    | GRANT SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE ON `db1`.* TO 'user'@'%' |
    3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

HSphere also lets us select what privilages each account has (not that HSphere users couldn't do this via ssh since they have WITH GRANT OPTION).

I didn't mean to include HSphere to start a pissing fight, but to show some features CPanel can add as well. Admins have users that may require read-only access; not everyone is a dba!

#2 ZeroFill, May 29, 2003
    Last edited: May 29, 2003