cPanel & WHM Version
WHM v92.0.11; cPanel 92.0 (build 11)

[email protected]

Registered
Mar 8, 2021
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I recently upgraded from a Gen 3 to Gen 4 GoDaddy VPS, and now all of mySQL queries are all taking about 3 times longer to run.

I’ve tried the following:
  • I’ve tested sites using the exact same versions of mySQL(5.7) PHP(7.3) .
  • I’ve gone through all of the WHM tweak settings and they are all the same (except for where features are new or no longer exist which I left as default).
  • I’ve provisioned everything to use the exact same PHP/Ruby extensions using Easyapache.
  • I’ve verified the site migration tool did not drop any Indexes, Keys, Datatypes, etc when bringing my tables over.
  • I’ve verified that mySQL is using the same configurations between servers in the my.conf file.
  • I’ve tried disabling Munin and ImnuifyAV which were not on the old server.
  • I've tried running queries from phpMyAdmin to rule out application level issues, but phpMyAdmin is seeing the same slowdown issue.
  • I've tried running a number of different queries to see if it's only affecting certain kinds of queries, and it seems to be all queries are running slower.
  • Non-mySQL related tasks on the new server all seem to be running as fast or faster than the old one.
The only identifiable differences I can find between these servers are the following:
  • The New server is running Cent OS 7.9 instead 6.10
  • The New server is running WHM/cPanel v92.0.11 instead of v86.0.37
  • The New server has twice as much memory and twice as many processors as the old one. (The server is not having any major memory or processor spikes; so, I'm not running out of system resources.)
  • I've run network speed tests and the new server's internet connection is about 3 times as fast.
I've tried calling GoDaddy support, but they just told me I configured something wrong and refused to even look into the problem on their end, but after several days of troubleshooting, I can not seem to find any configuration differences that are actually in my control.

Are there any configurations I might be missing that could affect how fast mySQL processes queries, and/or are there any specific issues I could ask GoDaddy to look at to improve speeds on their end?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! It looks like you've covered all of the standard configurations, so what about the weirder things. I'd check this, which you may have already, but it can still give you a nice overview of the MySQL processes running and if you think the numbers are normal for your system:

Code:
mysqladmin proc status
I'd check the disk speed too. There are various tools out there, such as hdparm, that will let you test the read and write speed of your disk, to see if that could be an issue.

Those are the two things I'd start with, as it doesn't sound like a configuration issue from what you've outlined.

[email protected]

Registered
Mar 8, 2021
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! It looks like you've covered all of the standard configurations, so what about the weirder things. I'd check this, which you may have already, but it can still give you a nice overview of the MySQL processes running and if you think the numbers are normal for your system:

Code:
mysqladmin proc status
I'd check the disk speed too. There are various tools out there, such as hdparm, that will let you test the read and write speed of your disk, to see if that could be an issue.

Those are the two things I'd start with, as it doesn't sound like a configuration issue from what you've outlined.
Ahg! I think it's the disk write speed. I ran 3 tests on the old server and got a disk write speed of 186-206 MB/s and the new server got 72-105 MB/s.... This is very unfortunate...

[email protected]

Registered
Mar 8, 2021
United States
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Okay, so I spoke with GoDaddy "support" and the of level unhelpfulness they offered was so extreme... I'm frankly dumbfounded. They told me that the the new server runs on SSDs but that they throttled I/O speed at server setup, and that it's my job to fix it... only I don't see any options in WHM for this, and they said it's not their job to tell me where those options are... I've been able to find instructions for how to manage this on a Cloud Linux server, but not for a CentOS server. Does WHM even have any tools for this?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Thanks for the details. cPanel & WHM do not have any tools to affect the hardware of the machine. Why would they throttle the speed on a new installation? That doesn't make sense to me at all, but if that was their reply, I'd be tempted to look into alternate hosting.