Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL to MariaDB - what to expect?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by sparek-3, Jun 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What problems should I expect to encounter if I move from MySQL to MariaDB? Is everything pretty much supporting MariaDB these days? Are there any popular scripts (that are up-to-date) that still don't support or work with MariaDB? Any unpopular scripts (that are up to date) that don't support or work with MariaDB?

I know there are problems with ancient versions of Joomla! I suspect that there are problems with ancient versions of WordPress (although WordPress officially supports down to WordPress 3.9, I'm assuming it supports and works with MariaDB?). I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for outdated scripts, if they are outdated and don't work with MariaDB then there stands a good chance that the script is littered with other security holes as well.

Are there storage engines that work in MySQL but don't work with MariaDB? Some of the accounts on some of these servers are quite old, 10 years old or more. So the databases may be quite old and quite large.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what I should expect to have problems with in switching from MySQL to MariaDB.

2. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I upgraded three servers quite some time ago and have no issues. The performance of MariaDB far outweighs any isssues that could arise. I couldn't believe the difference in system load on all machines after switching. That's my personal experience.

Ancient Joomla sites running DocMan broke though -- At the time that I switched, /usr/my.cnf (yes, /usr/my.cnf) contained the following after the MariaDB update:

sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES

And I had to change it to allow Docman to continue to work until the customer finally ditched their ancient Joomla installs.

sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO

I imagine for most people this would not be an issue, nor would I really recommend anybody subvert strict_trans_tables.

I also had problems with some of those Joomla sites displaying strange characters after migrating from a MySQL box to a MariaDB box. I can't say that I would necessarily consider it a MySQL-to-MariaDB issue. My fix was to change the options in PHP Selector to use nd_mysql, nd_mysqli and nd_pdo_mysql modules instead of mysql, mysqli and pdo_mysql.

I'll let you decide if that was really an issue occurring because of MariaDB or not.

Aside from that, I had no issues with hundreds of other accounts on other servers that I've upgrade to MariaDB.

Mike

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

In addition to the previous post, you may also find this document helpful:

Upgrading from MySQL to MariaDB

The upgrade process itself is handled through cPanel, so you can ignore the parts about running certain scripts post-upgrade. However, the rest of the document offers some details to consider when upgrading from MySQL.

Thank you.

4. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for this information.

I wonder if this particular issue is related to missing collations or character sets. I'd be curious to know if this is a widespread issue.

I'm assuming you are using CloudLinux's PHP. Is there a comparable solution to cPanel's PHP?

5. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, I am using CloudLinux's PHP. And, I'm not aware of a comparable solution to cPanel's PHP. With that said, I'm not sure there would be any issue in the first place if you were using EA3 (or EA4 MultiPHP or Native) vs CloudLinux PHP. I went into a little more detail [just a little] on my site. Google, with "", "Joomla site shows odd characters".

I was strictly going from CL/CageFS/PHP Selector on a MySQL box to CL/CageFS/PHP Selector on a MariaDB box, and at the time I was running EA3 and thus didn't have MultiPHP to test against. And I didn't test the sites against Native.

mike

6. DWaters

DWaters Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Expect MySQL Workbench to cease functioning correctly.