The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MYSQL Transfer

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by ArcServerscom, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ArcServerscom

ArcServerscom Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I am transferring a cPanel account from one server to another using the SSH method. The problem is that my mysql database is 55GB in size, and takes around 3 - 4 days to restore... I am wondering if there is a quicker and more stable way to do this, as after two attempts it doesn't seem likely that I'll be able to maintain a connection to the server for that long.

Any suggestions are appreciated

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

You can use the transfer tools in Web Host Manager to transfer the account without it's databases by selecting the following option:

"Skip account databases"

This will transfer the account without the databases. You can then manually backup the database on the source server using the "mysqldump" utility, transfer it over to the destination server using SCP or SFTP, and then restore it. It's a good idea to use utilities such as "screen" when using the command line to ensure you can leave the SSH session.

Thank you.

3. ArcServerscom

ArcServerscom Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

This is actually very useful, I don't know why I didn't think about using screen.

Thanks

4. pwhjenny

pwhjenny Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    After taking backup of database using mysqldump, compress it one more time either using gzip or tar tool so the size will be reduced and time will be saved during transferring the database over to new server.