SOLVED MySQL upgrade recommendation

psytanium

Jun 6, 2014
Lebanon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

Currently I'm running MySQL 5.6 on my VPS server.

Should I upgrade to MariaDB 10.1 ?
Is it safe ?
On step 2, i get 3 warnings :

1- The selected MariaDB version (10.1) is more than one generation newer than the currently installed version. The upgrade process will iterate over each intervening version to ensure tables are upgraded appropriately.

2- Although in-place upgrades are generally safe, you should always perform a full database backup before you begin the upgrade process.

3- Please note that downgrades to previous versions are unsupported. After you upgrade your system to a newer version, it may be impossible to switch back.

Should I ignore and proceed ?

All the best,

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello,

One potential reason you may want to avoid migrating to MariaDB is that you won't be able to convert back to MySQL in the future. cPanel version 70 offers support for MySQL 5.7, but the conversion to MySQL 5.7 isn't supported if you are already using MariaDB, so that's something to consider. Other than that, you should definitely follow the advice quoted below:

2- Although in-place upgrades are generally safe, you should always perform a full database backup before you begin the upgrade process.
Thank you.

DennisMidjord

Sep 27, 2016
Denmark
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We've been using MariaDB 10.1 with MySQL Governor for years now on multiple servers, and we haven't had any real issues.
The only issues have appeared when we've setup a new server and forgotten to install MariaDB on it. Transferring accounts to that cPanel server gives errors, but it's fixed by installing MariaDB.

CloudLinux also supports MariaDB 10.2, which should support MySQL 5.7. I haven't tested it yet.

Reactions: psytanium

PeteS

Jun 8, 2017
Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello,

One potential reason you may want to avoid migrating to MariaDB is that you won't be able to convert back to MySQL in the future. cPanel version 70 offers support for MySQL 5.7, but the conversion to MySQL 5.7 isn't supported if you are already using MariaDB, so that's something to consider. Other than that, you should definitely follow the advice quoted below:

Thank you.
I too would like the latest cPanel recommendation regarding staying with MySQL (and upgrading to 5.7 as soon as cPanel version 70 comes out) vs. moving to Mariadb 10.1. The current cPanel 68 recommendation is Mariadb 10.1 and I was about to pull the handle on that until I noticed that 70 will have 5.7 in it.

If cPanel is moving away from MySQL that would be important to know. Please look in your crystal ball and give us your thoughts.

@cPanelMichael ?

Last edited:

PeteS

Jun 8, 2017
Oregon
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Please don't keep bumping threads.

... cPanelMichael is away this week on business.
Sorry for that, but I had no way of knowing and needed more info asap.

Indeed it is useful; very informative. That's the info I've been looking for from cPanel. Someone (from cPanel) had previously made a statement that pointed to moving away from MySQL support. Then when I saw that 5.7 was part of v 70 I was conflicted over what cPAnel's position was on it. This quote from the blog sums it up for me:

Since we started pushing people to MariaDB, we’ve seen a shift in how quickly MySQL is reacting. MySQL now consistently matches or outpaces MariaDB when it comes to development and releases, which in turn is increasing the demand on us for providing those upgraded versions of MySQL by our users. We have been working over the last year to make our platform more appealing to developers, and our current lack of support for the cutting edge technology in MySQL is inconsistent with that goal.
Thanks!