SOLVED MySQL Upgrade Safety

f1alan

Mar 19, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi All,

We are currently running WHM v76.0.13 and MySQL 5.5 and would like to upgrade to MySQL 5.7.

Assuming that our website is compatible with MySQL 5.7 and I have tested this thoroughly on a local server, the database is backed up etc, the next step is to run "MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade" in WHM. I hope that it is just a case of following the wizard and a few minutes later it will be done…

I am a little bit nervous that this is a one-way upgrade process. We have nightly backups configured which appear to contain all of the cPanel system files but I am not convinced that restoring from this would revert back to the previous version of MySQL.

I have already been through the EasyApache 3 to 4 upgrade and PHP 5.6 to 7.3 and this was quite painless. However, I was reassured that I could go back if something went wrong which doesn’t seem to be the case with MySQL.

Am I being overly cautious? Any advice and reassurance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
The backups definitely contain all the databases by default and the upgrade process as done through WHM does do a check before proceeding with the upgrade to ensure that the results will be optimal. Typically the upgrade process is fairly painless especially in the event you have the added security of having backups of your data.

In the event, there is an issue we're available 24 hours a day to assist through the ticket system.

f1alan

Mar 19, 2019
UK
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
The backups definitely contain all the databases by default and the upgrade process as done through WHM does do a check before proceeding with the upgrade to ensure that the results will be optimal. Typically the upgrade process is fairly painless especially in the event you have the added security of having backups of your data.

In the event, there is an issue we're available 24 hours a day to assist through the ticket system.
That is good to know. Thanks.

Reactions: cPanelLauren