Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

SOLVED MySQL Upgrade Safety

Discussion in 'Database Discussion' started by f1alan, Mar 19, 2019.

1. f1alan

f1alan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi All,

We are currently running WHM v76.0.13 and MySQL 5.5 and would like to upgrade to MySQL 5.7.

Assuming that our website is compatible with MySQL 5.7 and I have tested this thoroughly on a local server, the database is backed up etc, the next step is to run "MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade" in WHM. I hope that it is just a case of following the wizard and a few minutes later it will be done…

I am a little bit nervous that this is a one-way upgrade process. We have nightly backups configured which appear to contain all of the cPanel system files but I am not convinced that restoring from this would revert back to the previous version of MySQL.

I have already been through the EasyApache 3 to 4 upgrade and PHP 5.6 to 7.3 and this was quite painless. However, I was reassured that I could go back if something went wrong which doesn’t seem to be the case with MySQL.

Am I being overly cautious? Any advice and reassurance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Alan

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The backups definitely contain all the databases by default and the upgrade process as done through WHM does do a check before proceeding with the upgrade to ensure that the results will be optimal. Typically the upgrade process is fairly painless especially in the event you have the added security of having backups of your data.

In the event, there is an issue we're available 24 hours a day to assist through the ticket system.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. f1alan

f1alan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That is good to know. Thanks.

cPanelLauren likes this.
  4. f1alan

f1alan Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Just to close this issue, the update worked without any problems. I went from 5.5 to 5.6 and then 5.6 to 5.7 just to be safe.

cPanelLauren likes this.
  5. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @f1alan

I'm glad to hear that! I'll go ahead and mark this as solved!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...