Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

MySQL upgrade to v.5.6+ old style passwords cPanel - explanation

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by postcd, Mar 24, 2019.

1. postcd

postcd Well-Known Member

This forum closed my topic for replies so i am starting this new one where i would like to ask users for help.

Is there any user who can comment on Michael's linked migration document MySQL :: MySQL 5.6 Reference Manual :: 6.5.1.3 Migrating Away from Pre-4.1 Password Hashing and the mysql_old_password Plugin ? Regarding it, am wondering if any part of that guide can be used to remove or partialy fix the issue of different password requirements among MySQL <5.5 and 5.6+ (as described in my topic)

Which parts of the document are important in context of the cPanel server and what it can actually do with the server?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. GOT

GOT Get Proactive! PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Do you have an excessive number of users with old passwords? Normally we just advise people to reset the passwords cia cPanel (can even use the same passwords)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    cPanelLauren likes this.
  3. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    The user will need to know their password in order to utilize MySQL databases so the suggestion by @GOT is actually the most common method of changing these.

Thanks!