The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL user priviledges & database itself

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by s.herzig, May 20, 2008.

1. s.herzig

s.herzig Registered

Hi everyone,

I'm having somewhat of a hard time with one of my websites since I switched to a server that had cpanel pre-installed. I used to do everything by hand, which is also why I try to do most of the tasks via the console / config files.

Something strange that has been happening on the server is the following:

1) From time to time (and there is no real pattern to this), one of the mysql users, who is granted "all priviledges", loses two of them: create temporary table and lock table. Why this is so, I don't know. I just know that it's annoying, especially as some of the php crons that I am executing, need the create temporary table. It just happened again (for the 4th or 5th time in one month) so I thought I'd ask here whether this problem is known or whether I am overseeing something (like CPanel overwriting files / permissions).

2) Another thing happened last saturday. The above thingy was fine, but one of my scripts did not execute three of the mysql queries specified in the script. Now, this cron is run every day and has always worked fine. Last saturday it even executed the lines of code after the three *blackholed?* mysql queries.
    Note that the mysql queries arent particularly big: two of them do a INSERT INTO ... (SELECT * FROM...) query, selecting from a temporary table in memory and putting that into an InnoDB table, the third one simply deletes the rows it held in the temporary table from an InnoDB table.

Power and memory should be enough, load is at 0.01 - 0.30, free memory about 400-500MB at all times.

Does anyone know what may be going on? Thank you in advance for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

-Sebastian

2. s.herzig

s.herzig Registered

and again... the user just changed its priviledges. I should mention that he was not added using CPanel, but using PHPMyAdmin and does not have the format of a cpanel database user.

3. DaveUsedToWorkHere

DaveUsedToWorkHere Well-Known Member

Please submit a support request to your host or us. The user information is stored in a table and should not be altered without interaction. Something is not working properly.

4. s.herzig

s.herzig Registered

Hi,

thanks for the response! I will post a ticket to your support. I already went through everything with my host, but they were as puzzled as I was.

Cheers,

-Sebastian

5. s.herzig

s.herzig Registered

Just for reference's sake:

Unfortunately CPanel support was puzzled as well, but I was able to trace the problem down:

I was just administrating my server through ssh and phpmyadmin when all of a sudden the "cPanel Layer 2 Update Commencing" appeared. After the update was complete, the user's privileges changed!

-Sebastian