The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL uses what ports?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by webignition, Feb 18, 2005.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I have a client who has a copy of phpBB running on some other server elsewhere and wants it to use his MySQL database on my server.

I have previously used PHP scripts to connect to remove MySQL databases from my server without a problem. When my client tries a test PHP script from this other server, it fails to connect to MySQL on my server.

I'm thinking that since I've managed to do so before (but only from my server to some other server), the most likely thing thats preventing a PHP script running on some other server connecting to a MySQL database on my server is APF.

I reckon that the PHP script running on the other server is trying to connect to MYSQL on my server using a port that is blocked. I may be completely wrong, however it seems like a likely cause.

Does anyone know what ports might be involved in this process so that I can unblock them to see how things go?

Thanks greatly for any help anyone can offer!

2. webignition

Update

I don't think this can be a firewall issue as this same thing occurs with APF turned off.

I think I'll let this thread come to an end now and start a new thread in the WHM forum on a more specific topic as I've more of an idea now as to what might be going on, and its not really related to the post that started this thread.

Sorry for making a mess of things!

3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Remote connection to MySQL is on port 3306. Check your /etc/my.cnf file to see if the directive skip-networking is enabled.

4. webignition

Thanks for the reply. I actually realised that the remote host wasn't specified in the client's Cpanel MySQL section and once added there things worked fine.

I wasn't previously aware that it was necessary to specify the remote hosts that want to access MySQL databases as with previous hosting providers I've used this wasn't the case and so wasn't something that I initially considered.