The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dxer, Apr 5, 2006.

1. dxer

dxer Well-Known Member

I see here people talking about MySQL 4.1.x causing some problems with cPanel. I would like to know what MySQL version comes with cPanel 10.8.1-STABLE_114 and what exactly I must be careful for , when upgrading.

If this latest cpanel stable has not integrate MySQL 4.1.x , then when can we expect this will be available ?

thanks

2. OCX

OCX Well-Known Member

im using mysql 4.1x without issues..
    besure to check mark the box in WHM that says
    Use old style (4.0) passwords with mySQL 4.1 (required if you have problems with php apps authenticating)

then run
    /scripts/mysqlup

and change your mysql password if you get a error on restart

easy enuff

OCX
    centos 4.x + cpanel latest

3. celliott

celliott Well-Known Member

There were only real problems once support first came out. I would move into cPanel Current or Edge build to take advantage of the latest 4.1.18. Stable comes with 4.1.13 which is getting on a bit now.

--Taken from my post in MySQL 4.1 Thread--

I have now successfully updated our server to MySQL 4.1.18 and everything is running perfectly. For those of you who are still hesitatant to upgrade, I say just go for it. :)

My method:

In order to obtain the latest MySQL 4.1.18 through cPanel I just updated to the cPanel Current-112 version, no problems there, straightforward update.

1. Create a backup of your current databases. I did this by backing up the /var/lib/mysql folder into a tar archive. Its advisable to stop MySQL first, to files in use can be read and databases cannot be changed whilst you upgrade.

Do this using: tar -czf archivename.tar.gz /var/lib/mysql

2. Go to WHM > Tweak Settings and tick MySQL 4.1. Click ok, wait 30sec and click the link as instructed. When thats completed open /etc/my.cnf with pico/nano and insert old-passwords under the mysqld tag. e.g.:

[mysqld]
    old-passwords

Then Save, exit and restart MySQL.

3. Recompile apache either with Apache Update in WHM or Easyapache, both do practically the same thing.

4. Reinstall/update perl:

wget http://layer2.cpanel.net/perl587installer.tar.gz
    tar zxf perl587installer.tar.gz
    cd perl587installer
    ./install

Once Perl had completed, I also ran /scripts/fixquotas to ensure that everything was set properly, and thats it!