The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQL4.1 or MySQL5 for PHP5

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by anoetic, Aug 6, 2007.

1. anoetic

anoetic Active Member

I have several clients asking that I upgrade to php5. I'm currently running php4.4.4 on Redhat Enterprise 3 with Apache version*1.3.37 (Unix) and MySQL4.0.27 Standard.

I understand that it will be necessary that I upgrade MySQL to either 4.1 or 5 if I want to upgrade to php5. Is there any advantage to upgrading only to MySQL4.1 rather than MySQL5 in order to avoid problems with current databases? Or, am I likely to face problems with either MySQL 4.1 or 5 when upgrading from 4.0.27?

Are there any other upgrades that I'll be required to make in order to upgrade my php to 5.2.x? (e.g., Apache?)

I'm mostly concerned with Mailman. I have several clients running Mailman mailing lists. I also have a few clients who have installed one or the other Fantastico scripts. Of course, I'll warn my clients to make backups, and I'll have cPanel do the same, but am I likely to have to deal with problems if I upgrade? If so, what sorts of problems might I face?

2. jayh38

jayh38 Well-Known Member

I never experienced a major problem outside adjusting my.cnf as needed. I would suggest upgrading to 4.1 and then go to 5 instead of jumping 4.0 to 5.

As far as advantages, its whether you desire the functionality of mysql5 or not. I still run 4.4 as standard unless someone has specific requirements for 5 on their own server.