Mysqldump command is increasing my Physical Memory

Leonardo Reis

Registered
Nov 19, 2014
Ribeirão Preto, Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
It's no big deal, but every time I run a mysqldump command by a cron job, my Physical Memory increases something around 12MB (which is my database size).

My cron job command is:
Code:
/usr/bin/mysqldump -u USER -pPASS DBNAME > /home/USER/backups/$( date +"\%Y_\%m_\%d_\%H_\%M_\%S" )_BACKUP.sql
I also tried to use the mysqldump with the "--quick" option, like this:
Code:
/usr/bin/mysqldump --quick -u USER -pPASS DBNAME > /home/USER/backups/$( date +"\%Y_\%m_\%d_\%H_\%M_\%S" )_BACKUP.sql
Both codes didn't work out.

The main problem is that after a few days, I reach the Physical Memory limit and it never gets down again.

What can I do to solve this issue?

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
The main problem is that after a few days, I reach the Physical Memory limit and it never gets down again.
To clarify, are you saying the memory usage is never released after the database backup completes?

Thank you.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Is the "mysqldump" process ending after it finishes? For instance, do you notice it hangs or takes a long time to complete?

Thank you.

Leonardo Reis

Registered
Nov 19, 2014
Ribeirão Preto, Brazil
cPanel Access Level
Reseller Owner
Is the "mysqldump" process ending after it finishes? For instance, do you notice it hangs or takes a long time to complete?

Thank you.
As I have a reseller account I dont know how to check if the mysqldump process is ending. But looks that it takes just a second to finish the backup procedure.

After a few week, as I run the backup only 2 times per day, it's not affecting my account resources, so I wont worry about it.

Thank you anyways.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
You will need to consult with your web hosting provider if you think there might be an issue with the mysqldump process hanging. It's not something you can really investigate without root access to the system.

Thank you.