The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SOLVED mysqldump fails for non-root shell user

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by sidgrafix, Aug 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sidgrafix

sidgrafix Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello All,

I've been searching and searching and searching for an answer to this problem but can't seam to find an answer anywhere!

Problem:

A non-root hosted cPanel account user with regular shell access gets permission denied when trying to use mysqldump

"-bash: dbbackup.sql: Permission denied"

The user can successfully log into any of their databases with mysql (using: mysql -u username -p database_name) but no use of mysqldump - response says bash permission denied!

Is there a way to give normal shell non-root cPanel user accounts the ability to use mysqldump? I can't find anything on extending privileges to shell users (other than making them a sudo user and adding them to the wheel group) but I don't want to give them the ability to execute commands that could be a security risk - I just want to give regular shell accounts the ability to use mysqldump for their databases.

- I've been having to login as server root user to create a mysql backup using dump for several users (and it's getting to be a pain)
    - Most users are fine without shell to backup their databases having phpMyAdmin, however there are a couple accounts with excessively large databases and phpMyAdmin fails, so shell with mysqldump is required for database backup on those accounts.
    -Accept I can't find documentation on adding functions, features or commands to shell for users.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

~Thank You

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Could you let us know the specific "mysqldump" command you are using? Also, can you verify if this system uses CloudLinux with CageFS?

Thank you.

3. sidgrafix

sidgrafix Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi cPanelMichael,

command used:
    Code:
    mysqldump -u username -p database_name > db_backup.sql
    If I run it as the root user or user with root permissions that works perfectly. But when logged in as the user through their shell access -bash permission denied.

And yes CloudLinux 6.9 user account is in CageFS

~Thank You

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Check to see what your current working directory is when logged in via SSH as the account username. EX:

Code:
    pwd
    If it's outside of /home/$username, then mysqldump won't be able to write that SQL backup file. To allow that command to work, first switch to the account's home directory:

Code:
    cd /home/username
    Or, update your command so the destination path is defined as:

Code:
    /home/username/db_backup.sql
    Thank you.

sidgrafix likes this.
  5. sidgrafix

sidgrafix Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Got it - and I'm pretty sure I know what the problem was now (thanks to your suggestion)

Originally I had logged in as a root user when dealing with some support ticket for client cPanel accounts (phpMyAdmin was failing do to the size of there DB's as they were nearing the 1G mark)

So I created a folder in there public_html directory called dbdump - where it was easiest for them to download the backup via FTP connection, which worked out fine they didn't have any problems.

But what I think happened was because the root user created the directory - because I originally gave them instructions on how to do the mysqldump themselves listing that directory "dbdump" in the path (basically made them a cut and paste code snippet, which includes gzip)
    - And that's were permission denied hit...

Per your advice I just did a quick test logging in as the client which was directly into there /home/username [~] directory and ran the command and it worked, so I then created a new directory db-dump under public_html and all worked as should. (Also just realized I will now have to delete the original dbdump directory logged in as root admin, cause I received a permission denied trying to remove it as the account user)

- Yep permissions, and makes complete sense..

Thank you for the assist cPanelMichael - most appreciated, I didn't run into one post anywhere even mentioning trying a different directory.. I run into an issue like this again in my travels I will try a different directory first..

Thanks again! Felt like I was going in circles trying to search for a solution..

cPanelMichael likes this.
  6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I'm glad to see that helped solve the issue. Thank you for updating us with the outcome.