The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MySQLi by default

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by Tcalp, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    A bit disappointing that MySQLi extension hasn't been included by default yet, given that PHP 5.5 is now default.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you provide some additional background information on this request? Are you requesting that MySQLi is enabled by default as a PHP extension instead of forcing users to enable it manually in the EasyApache build profile?

Thank you.

3. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Sorry Michael, this was a reply to a new EasyApache 3.2.1 announcement, it wasn't intended to be it's own thread, which defaults to PHP 5.5, but doesn't include MySQLi by default.

~~ Seems a bit odd to include depreciated code by default but not the current / supported code base.

But yes, your assumption was correct.

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  5. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi Michael,

In PHP 5.5 MySQL is depreciated ( http://php.net/manual/en/migration55.deprecated.php ) , but is still the included default/compiled MySQL native driver; I don't really feel that there is anything wrong with including a depreciated extension, but if you do, you should at least include the one that has replaced it (MySQLi) by default also.

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The following PHP modules are enabled by default in EasyApache build profiles:

Per additional documentation:

I've not seen any reports from users experiencing MySQL connection warnings with their scripts after upgrading to PHP 5.5 with the default build options. Could you verify if you are experiencing any deprecated errors on your websites due to these default settings?

Thank you.

7. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    If you attempt to use PHP 5.5 + MySQL ext you would get an error like :
    Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/********/mysql.php on line 6

8. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Could you open a support ticket using the link in my signature so we can take a closer look? I've not been able to reproduce the issue using the default EasyApache build profiles. You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

9. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Well it was never really that important of an issue, I was just making a comment on a specific Easy Apache build release, with EA4 upcoming this will be a null issue I'm sure anyhow.

10. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I believe you might be misunderstanding the mysqlnd MySQL Native Driver. You should not encounter any problems on EasyApache 3, so the error message you reported suggests there might be an issue on your system we need to address. Feel free to open a support ticket if you want us to take a closer look.

Thank you.

11. Tcalp

Tcalp Active Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Michael, we see the error on brand fresh installs along with existing servers, on 20+ servers, the issue is by no means a limited issue / single server issue. That said, it's not really something that concerns me.

12. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Thank you for taking the time to provide the additional information. I now understand the issue you are reporting, as this affects scripts that are outdated and were not designed for PHP 5.5 or newer. The following third-party URL explains the issue you are reporting:

The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead

It offers some guidance on how users can update their scripts to ensure compatibility with PHP 5.5 and newer. You are asking for a default selection and installation of mysqli with PHP, so that users who choose to update their scripts to use MySQLi will see it work right away instead of having to request the cPanel administrator to enable MySQLi in the EasyApache build profile. Is that correct?

Thank you.