The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery core dumps...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mctDarren, Apr 23, 2008.

1. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What is that script doing? It's the root of your evil... {{ Posted from the wayback machine so that it appears above your OP - thanks Mr. Peabody }}

2. brainyron

brainyron Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I've been experiencing a large number of php core dumps in my user directories that I'm trying to eliminate as they are eating up a LOT of disk space. I clear them out in the evening, check again in the morning and there will be dozens more. I've read up in the forums here about other ways people are getting rid of them, and none of the suggestions have helped me. This morning, I caught one in my apache error log:

[Wed Apr 23 08:59:25 2008] [notice] mod_fcgid: call /home/user1/public_html/index.php with wrapper /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/php5
    [Wed Apr 23 08:59:25 2008] [notice] mod_fcgid: process /home/user2/public_html/index.php(32704) exit(connect error), get signal 11, possible coredump generated

The really puzzling part here is that its user1 that has the core dump file...with the 32704 PID. Why is this happening? I'm baffled here.

3. brainyron

brainyron Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That script is the main index for our CMS. The puzzling part is that this doesn't occur on all requests, or even on all installations of this software.

4. mctDarren

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well, there's not quite enough info to go on as to why you are getting Seg Faults. And mod_fcgid is a known cranky bugger. If it's a third-party CMS, you might want to check their support and see if there are issues with running it as CGI, or under your PHP version. Make sure it's the latest version of the CMS too.

5. brainyron

brainyron Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Actually we develop this CMS in-house and have had zero problems running it in FastCGI mode on non-cpanel servers (in fact this is how we generally recommend to run it for performance/security). I honestly just don't want the core dumps, if I can prevent their creation that will be sufficient.

6. mctDarren

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator