The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nagging mail issue

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by gallot, Aug 23, 2006.

1. gallot

gallot Active Member

Hello everyone,

I have a nagging issue on mail of one of our clients. These particular client has accounts outside of our server (hosted on a Plesk server) and also have accounts with us (cPanel). Now when he sends mail from his Plesk account (outside) to his cPanel account (with us), he got the following errors:

This is the qmail-send program at plesk.theirserver.com.
    I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
    This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<name@domaininourserver.com>:
    Connected to xx.xxx.xxx.xxx but connection died. (#4.4.2)
    I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.

I did a grep on name@theirdomaininourserver.com in our cPAnel server's exim log to see what exactly is and I found out the following:

2006-08-22 20:04:04 H=(plesk.theirserver.com) [xxx.xxx.xx.xx] F=<name@domainintheirserver.com> temporarily rejected RCPT <name@domaininourserver.com>: Could not complete sender verify callout

I did test sending mail to name@domaininourserver.com coming from different sources like gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, our own servers email addresses and they are all sent and received fine without errors. It seems that only mails coming from name@domainintheirserver.com hosted in their Plesk has the error, but they insist that sending mails using their account to other emails are working fine.

Now my question is, where does the problem actually lies from the above scenario? Is it on me or on them? Under "Exim Configuration Editor" in my WHM, I have checked on "Use callouts to verify the existance of email senders". I wanted to uncheck that but I believe that this should be a security precaution for our clients in our server.

Any suggestion or assistance or comments will be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

#1 gallot, Aug 23, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  2. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

HI Gallot:

>> Is it on me or on them?

It is definately an issue with "domainintheirserver.com," not on your end.

Sender verification is more of an anti-spam check than a security precaution ... in simple terms, your server is making a quick call back to the sending server to verify the sending domain (or complete senders email account) is valid.

It would not surprise me if you ran their "domainintheirserver.com" through dnsreport.com you'd find some DNS configuration errors, as IMHO, a "temporarily rejected" (vs. an outright reject) message is often related to DNS / Server timeout issues.

As a workaround, you can create a whitelist in which to place domainintheirserver.com. You'll find this is necessary with a handful of domains. Post #8 in this thread has some great instructions:
    http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?p=215386

Hope this helps -

3. gallot

gallot Active Member

Thanks RickG for the info.