The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Server Clarification

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by nootkan, Apr 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. nootkan

nootkan Well-Known Member

I have a bit of a dilemma and would like some clarification from the experts. I moved all my domain names from my previous registrar to a new one in November 2015. I seem to recall having to register my nameservers on the old registrar also when I was still using them.
    IE: ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com. Is this correct?

Now a few months later, after replacing a failing hard drive and looking into my dns settings and nameservers I see that my nameservers aren't registered with my new registrar. Yet everything seemed to be functioning normally and all tests being passed with intoDNS. So I must conclude that my previous registrar still has my nameservers registered with them. Am I right in this assumption?

I added my two nameservers to my new registrar and now I am seeing all kinds of errors in intoDNS like missing nameservers or missing A, MX and SOA records.

Am I misunderstanding this? Should I not have to have my nameservers registered in my registrar? I have everything set correctly in my server settings because until I added the nameservers to my new registrar I never seen anything but green checkmarks.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Could you elaborate on how you are configuring your name servers? For instance, the name servers are registered at the domain registrar associated with the domain name you are creating name servers for. Thus, if you are creating name servers for "ns1.domain.tld" and "ns2.domain.tld", then you would create them at the registrar of "domain.tld". You may find this document helpful:

How to Set Up Nameservers in a cPanel & WHM Environment - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation.

Thank you.

3. nootkan

nootkan Well-Known Member

Michael, thanks for your reply. Well this is embarrassing :oops: I seemed to have blocked Romania in my firewall which is where intoDNS servers reside which of course won't function properly hence all the warnings I was seeing. At least I know that I was doing everything right. Whew! I need to go fishing or something to relieve some stress. ;)

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm happy to see you were able to determine the cause of the problem. Thanks for updating us with the outcome, and it's good to know that IntoDNS is hosted in Romania, as that might help others who block countries in their firewalls and use that website.

Thank you.