The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name server configuration and review

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bruce123, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Bruce123

Bruce123 Active Member

I am not new to cpanel/whm, but new to configuring it on a newly built server -

I set up the name servers in the configuration wizard. After completion, I went to check my work at DNS Functions > Nameserver IPs, which is not present in the latest WHM version. I found a thread on this forum that advised using Server Configuration > Basic cPanel & WHM Setup

At the bottom I could see the name servers, but the IPs are not visible. Instead are two buttons -- Assign IP Address and Add A Entry. I clicked the Assign IP address expecting to see a configuration screen, but I instead watched in horror as the system automatically assigned an IP that I know is not correct. Two questions:

How do I assign the correct IP for the name server?

How do I view the assigned IPs without making changes to them?

Thank you very much for your help.

2. Mckenzielaa

Mckenzielaa Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    have you looked in DNS > Edit DNS Zone select the required NS entry and cba ge the IP for the one you want. dont forget to add an A entry for it to.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The only thing that Nameserver IPs ever did, is it put the nameserver IP addresses in /etc/ips. That is all. That file was not required for your nameservers to work. The function caused a great deal confusion for customers who thought that assigning nameserver IP addresses was somehow required before their nameservers would work, and that is why it has been removed from cPanel.

These are the only things you need to do, for your nameservers to work:

1. Register your nameserver IP addresses at your domain registrar as nameservers, and;
    2. Add (or edit, if they already exist) NS and A records for the nameservers to the DNS zone for the nameservers' domain.

That is all you need to do. There is no other special configuration required.

The presence of the Nameserver IPs page in the past helped create an impression that there is some kind of "nameserver service" inside the server or operating system, but that never was the case, and that page caused a lot of confusion. The steps I listed above are all you need to do, for your nameservers to work.

The nameservers listed in Home » Server Configuration » Basic cPanel & WHM Setup are added by default as NS records in a new account's DNS zone, so enter the nameservers you want to use, but you do not need to click Assign IP address or Add an A entry for this nameserver. Just register your nameserver IP addresses as nameservers at the domain registrar, and add (or edit, if they already exist) A and NS records for the nameservers to the nameservers' domain's DNS zone.

4. Bruce123

Bruce123 Active Member

Thank you for your help, Mckenzielaa and CPJared. I always appreciate the help I find here.

I was able to get this figured out with the help of an associate.

On a related note, in case anyone is reading this in the future -- I had already registered the name servers at the registrar when I made this post. I was having some problems with resolution, which is why I wanted to check the configuration. But the problem I was having with resolution was with something I forgot to do after everything else was done:

I have another server that I am migrating from. That server is ns5 & ns6.domain.com This one is ns7 & ns8.domain.com. domain.com points to the server where ns5 & ns6 reside. It was necessary for me to go into the DNS zone for domain.com on the old server and add A Records for ns7 & ns8. Once I had done that, everything began to work properly. Feel pretty silly that I had forgotten that, because I learned about it several years ago when I added a second server.

Anyway, thanks again for the help.

5. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You are most welcome, and I hope I helped to clear up some confusion.