The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name Server & Domain Name Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mackers8923, Jun 1, 2005.

1. mackers8923

mackers8923 Member

Hi,

I have just purchased my first dedicated server and I'm having trouble working out the domain name and name server part.

The host name I selected when I first ordered the server was ns1.***.com for example. Is this the Name server I should be using for all other domains I use? Or should I be pointing direct to the IP address?

2. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Active Member

I'm having the same problem...I just got my first server as well...I have a few questions. WHM has a lot of features...I mean a lot...very confusing, when you been hosting on a shared server.

When I first access whm, it said to set up. I just clicked finish without changing anything. I'm not sure what to change.

• What is "Main Shared Virtual Host IP"? And what do I do with it. There is already setting on it. So confusing..

What is the host name? When I saw it, by default it was on localhost.localdomain. Should I keep it like that?

For primary and secondary name servers what do I put? Can I create anything I want? Like ns.anydomain.com, ns2.anydomain.com?

I got a bllion more questions...but those are the primary right now. Sorry I'm a complete noob at this stuff. I read the manual, still don't get it.

3. dgbaker

dgbaker Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    See here for full docs...
    http://www.cpanel.net/docs/whm/

Also check the stickies on the top of each forum area as these types of questions are generally listed there.

4. azn_romeo_4u

Thanks dg, that's the first thing I looked at. But I don't understand the terminology of most of the instruction. It's not really instructions, it just tells you to do it, but it doesn't really explain what that does etc to someone who doesn't understand it.

I just wanted to host 3 websites on a faster server than a shared hosting company. I thought all you had to do was set up the account, then point to the name server.

I'm not quite sure what the nameserver is though on a server... is it the ip they gave you? Or are you suppose to create your own nameservers? How do you do that? I looked at the tutorial, and it doesn't make sense to me.

5. KMK Enterprises

KMK Enterprises Well-Known Member

Here's a try at a simplified explanation.

yourdomain.com is a domain you purchase through a domain registrar and set up host records for it via the registrar and provide the IP values you assigned to the nameservers. You probably already know this if you've been running in a shared environment.

On your server, you have a host - example: server.yourdomain.com

That host has at least two nameservers, a primary and a secondary - example: ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com

Your provider should have given you at least 2 IPs with your server account. One would be used as your Main Shared Virtual IP and assigned both to your host: server.yourdomain.com and your primary nameserver: ns1.yourdomain.com. The second would be assigned to your secondary nameserver: ns2.yourdomain.com. If your provider hasn't already set this up for you, you will need to do this via your WHM - look under Edit Setup. After you (or your provider) have assigned the IP addresses as described, you'll also need to add A entries for your host and both nameservers. The host A entry can be added via the link under DNS Functions, and nameserver A entries are added under Edit Setup.

Yes, there are a lot of tools available via WHM, and I also didn't find the WHM instruction/documentation very informative in the beginning. These forums provide a wealth of knowledge. If you get stumped, come here and do a search for the issue that's giving you problems, and 9 out of 10 times, you'll find an answer that helps. There are also other sites across the Web which can be helpful - try searching Google as well.

Good luck to you!

6. azn_romeo_4u

Thanks man...that was a good breakdown.

When I add an account under WHM...that's all you have to do right? You don't have to mess with anything else? Because cpanel will automactically do it?

Also, during dns propogation, is it normal to get lame nameservers. I'm tring to add three of my websites into it, but none of them work. All of them have the same errors.

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=cursors-4u.net
    http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=ps-tuts.com

I just create private nameservers about 2 days ago...and I already redirected those site to the name servers that I created. But yea just wondering, lame nameservers during propogation?

#6 azn_romeo_4u, Jun 4, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2005
  7. ccccanada

ccccanada Well-Known Member

No you should not have lame nameservers.

1. Make sure your nameservers are registered at the registry
    http://www.internic.net/whois.html

2. Make sure the main domain (parent domain) has "A" records for those Nameservers

3. Make sure that you have enabled your nameservers in WHM.

4. Make sure that in WHM under "Edit Setup" your nameservers are entered and that an "A" record was created on that server for the nameservers.

Hope this helps