The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name server setup help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rvibes101, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Rvibes101

Rvibes101 Member

Clarification on DNS

Hi im trying to start out with a very very low end hosting company. It’s something im going to offer as a side kicks to my gaming server (low space & cost but room for customers to host fan site at low coast) now here is my deal.

I want to set up my own dns server, so when people register a nick with lets say godaddy.com they can point there name to ns1.mysite.com ..

My question is this possible to set up on my web server (also the one running FC2 + cpanel).

Second, im behind a firewall so my web, maybe new dns, server gets a 192.168.0.0 ip address from the firewall/router. Now when I was playing around with dns through cpanel it wanted to assign my dns server with the 192.168.0.0 instead of my main.

If someone could help me out or point me in the correct direction I would be more then thankful!!

Thanks ahead of time,

2. Rvibes101

Rvibes101 Member

Private nameserver

Ok after a bit of surffing around looking for answers i found this website in a thread on this forum.

/////////////////////////////////////////////
    http://www.webhostgear.com/11.html
    /////////////////////////////////////////////

Now this explains exactly what i want to do. Now yes i have static IP andi have dns hosting with my ISP.

The artical reads

So after reading this i have a good idea of what i need to do but im still a little off on a few areas like.

So does this basically mean that i must let my datacenter (isp provider) now that i have created two new nameserver ns1.site_i_justgot.com and ns2.site_i_justgot.com and that ns1 points to my 1st IP and ns2 points to my seccond IP?

well that is where im at im sure ill have more questions the further along the list i get.

anyhelp or pointers would be helpfull.

thanks in advance

3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you attempting to run this on a private DSL/Cable modem connection?
    PTR records (reverse dns) are usually configured by the owners of the IP space and seldom delegated to web hosting customers.

4. Rvibes101

Rvibes101 Member

yes

Im on a private cable connection, I have 1 spare ip, want to make it so that someone wants to host website with me and buys a domain from a registrant place like (godaddy) they can set there name to point to ns1.mysite.com instead of having to pay other companies like dyndns.org to point them at my ip address.

5. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You will need to ask your ISP about running a server on your connection as it usually is not allowed. Likewise with PTR records.

6. Rvibes101

Rvibes101 Member

They have already had there heads up about this. As far as i can tell they have no problems with this. Last night i was on line with tech 3 guy who was helping me get the info from them that i need for this.

Just for clarification ptr? im not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to dns

Only reason i ask this is because im trying to offer very coast efficient web hosting for members of my gaming server and can not see how that me offering low price hosting with a dns set up fee of 25$. :confused:

#6 Rvibes101, Jan 18, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  7. sawbuck

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    PTR is just reverse DNS. As you stated in a previous post "Setup a reverse on the IP address for your domain" - this is what the datacenter would normally set for you. It has become more of a factor in that oufits like AOL, etc. require it to accept email because of spam concerns.