The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

name server using IPv6's?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by gaogier, Jun 25, 2015.

1. gaogier

gaogier Registered

Hello, I done a few searches here and what I can find I believe is outdated.

Accoding to people in the web hosting community, cpanel needs 2 ip's to run… I have 1 IPv4 and 1IPv6. I think that is why its working.

Could I use both IPv4 and IPv6 for name servers? or does it have to be IPv4… from now on I am going to type 4 and 6 as there are a few to more to come.

I had asked OVH/kimsufi about getting an additional 4, as the website said no in FAQ - its worth asking right?

How do people who have kimsufi/ovh servers with cpanel get around this, surely they have to use 6. Or do they use something else?

Everything I have found on this matter is very old going back to 2008 in some cases, but isn't that the whole reason 6 has come around, 4 where running out, and 6 should be the successor right?

After reading my theory, is it possible?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

This is not accurate. You can actually use the same IP address for multiple name servers, and that IP address is usable for your accounts as well. There's no need to use an IPv6 address as a substitute for an IPv4 address, and it's not advised to use IPv6 for one name server and IPv4 for another.

Thank you.