The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

namebased account vs ipbased account

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by abubin, Jun 21, 2005.

1. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

Hi,

I have manage to transfer some domains from my old ensim server to cpanel using the feature in whm.

But now, I don't know how to configure them as namebased account instead of giving them their own ip addresses. I wouldn't mind that if I have unlimited ips.

If you don't know what i mean by "namebased" account. Here is the long version of what it means. Imagine 10 domains. All go to this same ip address assigned to you which goes to your server. From your server, it can point the visitor to the domain he/she want to go...domain1.com will go to account domain1 in cpanel. Domain2.com will go to domain2 in cpanel. Domain3.com will go to domain3 in cpanel and so on.... Am I right to call this namebased account? Cause ensim calls it that...

Hope you understand what I am trying to say. This should be a common thing but I don't know why i have such a tough time doing it and explaining it to people in ev1servers. Can't find any solution to this on any forum.... :mad:

Thanks in advance.

#1 abubin, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

When new accounts are created through WHM, the default is to use the main shared IP unless you choose to specify a different IP. Therefore new accounts should function as name based not IP based accounts.

If, for some reason, the transfer from Ensim assigned these accounts different IPs, you can change the IP of an account through WHM > Account Function > Change Site's IP Address

3. abubin

abubin Well-Known Member

so, for example, i have an existing ip based account. I just change it's ip to main ip's address and it will become namebased?

And I don't need to fiddle with DNS settings and stuff?

#3 abubin, Jun 21, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2005
  4. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

As long as the relevant account has a domain name that is, with respect to your server, unique, then yes.